Chapter Eight:

It's been three weeks. Tyson's been reported missing, and the boys think that's why Fang has been distant. None of them know what happened. Not even Matt knows. He's been by Fang's side constantly. She still holds her suspicions on what he may know. If he knew Tyson was a Hunter, was he dangerous as well? None of the signs were there. Hindsight really did wonders. She should have suspected Tyson sooner. She didn't want to make the same mistake with Matt.

The group never spoke of what may have happened to Tyson. Fang was sure the boys expected that this whole mess had something to do with Fang's... condition. If only they knew. Tears welled up again for the umpteenth time that night. Fang was torn between hate and anger, and love and regret. She fingered Tyson's amulet around her neck, shivering in his too big jacket. He'd left both at her house before, so none of the boys were suspicious. As far as she could tell, anyway. 

Bobby, the most perceptive and protective of the boys, was behind her in an instant, his arms wrapped around her waist and his head laid on her shoulder. "Shhh, Lexic, it's gonna be okay, they'll find Tyson, you'll see."

His words, meant to be reassuring, sent Fang over the edge. Guilt tore at her. This was all her fault. A sweet boy was dead. She had killed him. Her turmoiled emotions took hold of her once again. She started to sob and turned so that she could bury her face in his chest. He tried to soothe her, stroking her hair, and soon she could feel the other boys gathered around her. Matt, Clay, and Sammy were patting various spots reassuringly. They all tried to comfort Fang, forgetting the dinner they'd come over for.

It wasn't until they smelled the food starting to burn that they broke away and let Fang back through. Struggling to see through the tears, she tried to save the bacon. In the end it came out a little blackened but still edible. Not terrible, but you'd need a glass of milk to go with it.

She turned off the stove and served the boys, sniffling. "I'm gonna go take a shower," She muttered, leaving them to their food.

The hot water felt good on her tense muscles, letting her relax for the first time since that night. She still felt horrible, but once she was under the water, she felt... detached. She closed her eyes, and her mind started to drift, relishing the sting of the water as it hit her shou-

'I'm going to die!' I ran, pushing through the brush, my heart pounding in my ears. 'They're coming, oh, God, please, they're going to kill me!'

Fang awoke on the shower floor, the boys pounding on the locked door.

---------------

Sammy was the first elected to stay with Fang. The boys were duly concerned, and Fang couldn't really blame them. Maybe they were waiting for a mental breakdown. She was waiting for one herself.

Fang stood in the kitchen, staring absently at nothing in particular when Sammy came running in. "Allie, Allie, Allliiiieeee!" He came skidding to a halt in front of her. She quickly focused her eyes on him, faking a smile. "Yes, Sammy?" He began rocking back and forth on his heels, hands clasped behind his back. "I finished weeding the garden, so I was wondering, um..." He looked down at his shoes.

"Yes, Sammy, what is it?" He looked back up at her before taking a deep breath. "CanIhavearideonyourbackasawolfpleasepleaseplease?"

He spoke so fast that Fang barely caught it. She blinked. He wanted a piggyback ride? While she was a wolf? The sheer audacity of his question made her laugh. She opened her mouth to say no, but something in those boyish eyes of his stopped her. She studied him. Sammy was short, at five eleven, with equally short messy blond hair and big, baby blue eyes. He had a boyish charm that most people couldn't resist, and the rest found immaturely annoying. She sighed inwardly, knowing he'd pout all day if she said no. "Alright, I suppose." She needed out of the house anyway. Maybe if she did something nice for one of her other pets she wouldn't feel so bad about killing Tyson.