Chapter Ten

She opened her eyes slowly, her head spinning. Wha.... where am I? Where is Caleb? She sits up carefully, trying to figure out which way is up when a cold breeze informs her that she is naked in the middle of the forest. What...? This isn't the jungle... where are the monkeys? The screaming of the macaws? Where are the vampires? Her voice croaking, she calls out weakly. "Hello? Lyziztra? Malachi? Segan?" She stands on wobbly legs only to hit her knees. After a moment she realizes that there's a wall in her head. She takes it down, and instantly the sweet voice of Caleb Whitmore fills her head. 

Fang! Where are- what the hell... Fang! What happened?! Are you okay?! 

She put a hand to her throbbing head, dirty blond hair falling into her eyes. "Caleb?" She sounds like a lost little girl. "W...where am I?" Oh Fang baby I don't know... I don't recognize the scenery... 

That was when another voice entered her head. 

Fang! Caleb, you idiot, she's somewhere in the Rocky Mountains! "Demitri?" Don't worry baby, Caleb, Malachi and I will come to find you. Do you have any idea where you are? "....No... I don't... it's just... green... oh... my head..."

She started crying as the pain in her head increased. What had happened? Where are my vampires, my little bird Raven? Where am I? Why aren't I at home?

I have to go home.

Fang stood up, wobbly, but fell onto her hands and knees and began coughing up blood. "Fang baby hold on, we're on our way, just ho-" The link in her mind suddenly vanished. No wall, nothing, it just... disappeared. Completely. Desperately, she started searching for Caleb, throwing her mind out, but... nothing. Just silence. She started crying harder. No, no no no, Caleb, no! He's dead... Caleb! She let out a scream of rage and pain. Someone was going to pay, anyone. She could feel her instincts taking over, her hair growing a little longer as it turned black, her fingers shrinking as her palms grew. Hair spread over her body, a twitch at the base of her spine as a tail came out. Her body contorted, stretching, growing bigger, stronger, faster. 

She was going wolf and there would be hell to pay for whoever had dragged her out here, away from home, from her family, from everything she knew and loved.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"She's been missing for over two weeks! What the hell are we going to do?" Bobby roared, pacing back and forth in front of the couch. Sammy sat in the doorway, his head in his hands, shaking visibly. He had never been more scared. Clay stared moodily out the window, tense and silent. Matt stood by the stairs, staring at nothing.

"You can die." They all looked up, shock on their faces, and Sammy opened his mouth to scream- pop! pop! pop! pop!

Smoke rose silently from the end of the silencer he had placed on the revolver. He smirked and lowered it down to his side.

So she had left. Big deal. Once news reached her of her precious boys' deaths, then she would come running home, ready to deal with the big bad monster that had hurt her family.

He knew it.

Placing the gun back inside his jacket, he turned and walked out the back door, sidestepping bodies and blood, heading for the woods. She had killed Tyson, but he had been weak.

She would never see him coming.

The game had begun.