chapter eighteen

// tw: blood \\

deku

I'm sorry.

Hesitantly, I scribbled the words onto a sticky-note. I debated ripping the note up into pieces so small no one would ever be able to put them back together, but I took a deep breath and let it stay intact on the desk. I stifled a yawn and glanced at the clock on the nightstand: 2:47 am.

Next to the nightstand, Todoroki was sleeping peacefully on the bed. How I had managed to slip out of his arms without waking him, I would never understand. But I had done it, and now I was standing in a hoodie and jeans, dreading going outside due to the violent storm.

I stepped toward the door and took a moment to glance back at Shoto. He looked so warm and inviting that I had to stop myself from crawling back into bed and cuddling him. His two-toned hair was spread across the pillow and it moved as he stirred, pulling the blanket closer to his chest. Shoto moved again and I forced my eyes away, put my hand on the door handle, and left him alone in the room.

Silently, I crept downstairs and out of the dorm building, closing the door behind me softly. Toga, Dabi, and Twice were waiting for me on the porch, each looking just as tired as me. Except for Toga, who was grinning wildly, already holding a knife in her hand. As always, she had three more hidden: one in a garter on her thigh, one in a sheath on her back, and another on her belt.

Dabi yawned. "I can't believe we had to pull an all-nighter just for this. Waiting in the rain for six hours is not fun."

"I get to see Ochaco-san!" Toga cried, way too excited considering the time. "And Shoto-kun! Can I stab him? Please?"

"I'm sorry, I snuck you in when I could," I said to Dabi. "And, Toga, please try not to hurt him."

"Aw, does Broccoli care about his boyfriend?" Dabi teased.

I shoved his shoulder. "Shut up, Stitches."

"This is going to be fun," Twice added.

"Fun can happen before midnight. I want to go back to sleep."

Shigaraki walked up the stairs and joined us on the porch. "Toga, go inside. Deku, come with me. Twice and Dabi, you know what to do."

Toga's smile widened and she dashed into the building, a bloodthirsty glint in her eye. Dabi yawned again, rolling his eyes in annoyance as he disappeared into the darkest corner of the porch. Twice stayed on the stairs for a moment before descending them and standing on the concrete path in front of the dorm building.

I sighed and walked into the rain with Shigaraki, who was soaked but not cold—at least, he didn't let me know whether he was cold or not. His eyes were blank, almost bored, and his extra hand covered the rest of his face.

As the cold rain poured down on my head, I followed him across the school grounds. We made our way around a dorm building belonging to a class I didn't personally know and stood there silently.

"So," I said awkwardly after a whole minute where the only sound was the storm raging overhead, "what are we waiting for?"

"Toga is going to drag the class out of their rooms. Twice and Dabi are going to help her fight them. Once the teacher comes out to see what the noise is, you and I will run in."

"I think that's the most words I've ever heard you say consecutively."

"I will smack you."

I rolled my eyes and shut my mouth. Usually, I would have said something clever back, but I really didn't feel like getting slapped at that moment.