chapter five

deku

I'm actually here.

I walked through the halls of U.A. High, trying to get a feel for the building again. The tall windows were letting bright light stream in, illuminating everything around me.

I hate this place.

After meeting with the police to tell them the fake story of what had happened with the League of Villains, I had come to the U.A. school grounds before returning to the dorms.

How did I ever enjoy going to this stupid school?

My phone buzzed in my back pocket. Sighing audibly, I took it out and opened it.

I cursed as I saw three text messages and two missed calls from Shigaraki.

(Yesterday, 9:38 pm) Shittyraki: Are you at the school?

(Today, 12:37 am) Shittyraki: ???

(Today, 3:03 pm) Shittyraki: Deku, answer your damn phone.

I groaned in annoyance and started typing out a message.

(Today, 3:04 pm) Me: sorry for not texting, i didn't have a chance to get on my phone. yes, im in the school. nobody suspects anything.

(Today, 3:06 pm) Shittyraki: Good.

(Today, 3:08 pm) Shittyraki: hi deku-kun!! i miss you!! make sure to kill lots of people for me ☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆

(Today, 3:08 pm) Shittyraki: That was Toga.

I rolled my eyes at my phone.

(Today, 3:09 pm) Me: tell toga i say hi

"Deku!" someone yelled, making me jump and hastily shove my phone in my pocket.

"Oh, hey, Uraraka," I said.

"Who're you texting?"

"Uh," I stammered, "I was just writing a note for later."

"Oh, okay. Do you want me to walk around the school with you?"

No.

"If you don't mind," I forced myself to say. "It's been a while and I don't want to get lost."

Inwardly, I groaned. I didn't want to even see her, let alone walk with her.

"It's no problem!" the brown-haired girl said in a sickeningly sweet voice.

This is going to be a long few weeks.

Uraraka and I started walking again, and I continued to look around at the walls. It seemed like I was just observing the hallway since I hadn't seen it in four months, but that wasn't the case. I was actually trying to find different ways to get into the building from the outside.

The windows look pretty thick, I thought to myself, and we're on the second floor, so there aren't any doors. The ceiling must be at least fifteen meters high, so even if someone could get through the roof, the drop to the ground would injure them.

Uraraka stopped suddenly, causing me to nearly run into her. I jumped backwards to avoid hitting her back.

Jeez, Uraraka. Can't you walk?

I looked at her, allowing my irritation to show on my face. Luckily, she wasn't facing me. She was staring at the wall instead.

"Deku, look," she whispered, even though she had no reason to be quiet.

I rolled my eyes behind her back and turned to look at the wall that had stolen her attention.

"Oh, wow," I said sarcastically.

"I know," she answered, not picking up on my sarcasm. "You haven't seen this door since before you disappeared, right?"

"Yeah."

She wasn't wrong. In front of us stood the giant door that led to Classroom 1-A, the same classroom that had helped me develop my quirk and friendships.

The same classroom that made me hate heroes.

"Can we go in?" I asked, pretending to be excited.

Uraraka touched the door handle and turned it. The door opened and she walked in. "I guess we can."

I walked into the room, using all of my power just to keep from scowling. The desks were set up in the same order as they had been four months ago. The only difference was that one desk was shoved against the wall by the back, hidden from view.

That had been my desk.

I never want to sit there again.

Uraraka walked to the back of the classroom. "Should we move your desk back so you can sit in it on Monday?"

No. I never want to sit there again. Are you dumb?

"Yeah! I'll help you move it. Thanks."

Dammit, Uraraka, can't you see that I don't want to be here?

I groaned at my own thoughts. Of course she doesn't know—that would ruin the whole plan. Stop whining, Deku, I said to myself in my head.

Uraraka touched the desk and it lifted into the air. She had used her quirk, zero gravity, so I took hold of one of the desk legs and walked it over to the empty place where my desk used to be. Once it was in the right location, Uraraka pressed her fingers together and the desk dropped to the floor.

"It's so strange," she said, looking at the desk. "I . . . we really thought you were gone for good. I didn't think this desk would ever be put back where it went."

What's up with all this gone-for-good crap? Todoroki had reacted the same way yesterday. It's so gross and stupid, obviously I wasn't gone for good. Ugh.

"Well, I'm here now," I said, having to remind myself not to sound pissed off.

I looked over at Uraraka, who had gone quiet. Tears were welling in her big eyes, but she wiped them away before I could say anything.

Jeez. These 'heroes' are so goddamn emotional. Why?

"I'm s-sorry, Deku," she cried. "I should have been there to help you. Maybe if I had stayed with you that day, you might not have gotten kidnapped—"

That's disgusting. Cut the crap.

"Uraraka," I said soothingly, ignoring my own thoughts for the sake of my acting. "There was nothing you could have done. You don't have to blame yourself for anything."

"B-but if I had walked with you back to the dorms—"

"It was my fault for leaving early."

Memories of the day came rushing back to me. I had been at the mall with the rest of Class 1-A, and something had happened that made me leave early.

What the hell happened?

The rest of my memory was hazy—I had been happy, and then I wasn't. I left, and I was walking, and the next thing I knew, I was with the League of Villains.

"It's not your fault, Uraraka."

Her cries slowly came to a stop and we walked out of the classroom, closing the tall door behind us.

I walked with her out of the school entirely, then to the dorms. She left my side to sit with Tsuyu on the couch, and I went into the kitchen.

I should make something, I thought. That will definitely get the class to trust me again. The faster they trust me, the faster I can get out of here. 

I yawned, covering my mouth with my hand. It had only been a day, but I was already exhausted of this heroic crap. I'm so tired.