Chapter 21: The Dark Side

Dyvia’s POV

   There was a loud knock on the door the next morning that startled everyone awake. I had graduated from the couch in the back to a bunk now that everyone felt bad for me. It was the one time where I liked the sympathy because it got me a real bed, any other time I told them to stop it, James was indifferent on the subject. 

   “What the hell are you doing knocking on our door so early!?” I heard James growl at the visitor. I laughed to myself a little, it was actually very comical when he gets mad.

   “I’m a new crew member.” I heard a young man stammer from the door. “The officials sent me, I’m sorry.” 

   “Go to the crew bus!” He growled then slammed the door and stomped back to his bunk. 

   “Great, another one that falls at James’ feet...” I mused aloud, slightly annoyed by the boy.

   “I know right?” I heard James say from above me.

   “Oops, I didn’t mean to say that out loud.” I said.

   “Well you did and I’m quite happy about it, its annoying and its nice to have someone realize it.” He growled

   “Then why did you try to conform me into one of them when I got here?” I asked gently. 

   “Don’t know.” He said and I could hear the shrug in his voice. “You weren’t one and it was weird so I wanted to know if I could change you. Its evident I cant.” I smiled, he admitted that he couldn’t change me! If dancing didn’t hurt right now I’d do it out of victory. I heard some of the other guys groan.

   “God, I guess we’re not gona get any peace and quiet this morning!” Demitry yelled then stomped out of the bus, shortly followed by Shaun and John. Rem traveled on his own now, he couldn’t stomach being around James for to long. I heard James’ amused laugher vibrating through the bunks.

   “Well I guess they’re right, we aren’t gona going back to bed.” He sighed, getting up and hanging his legs over the edge of his bunk and looked down at mine expectantly. 

   “Speak for yourself, I could fall asleep at any time and one of these days probably not wake up.” I mumbled into my pillow already starting to feel sleepy again. I felt a wind rush past me and looked out to see it was James jumping from his bunk to the floor.

   “I’m gona make some breakfast.” He said out loud to no one in general. I drifted in and out of sleep for another 30 mins before I felt heat on my face and was awaken by a sweet smell filling my nose. I opened my eyes to a plate of french toast with a knife and fork perched on top. Syrup cascaded down the three pieces and oozed into every crevice of the bread making my mouth water. I sat up and was about to dig in before warning lights went off in my head.

   “James?” I called out.

   “What?” He asked back in annoyance. I could hear he had his mouth full.

   “Why are you being nice and making me breakfast?” I asked suspiciously. 

   “I honestly don’t know so enjoy it while it lasts.” He called back. I poked the fluffy, cinnamon-caked bread unsure about what to do with it but finally my stomach decided to take the chance and eat. If he was poisoning me at least I didn’t have to die slowly of tour sickness. I began to eat but it felt a little lonesome inside the compact walls of my bunk so I did something I never thought I would do. I climbed out with my plate and labored over to the table to sit with James. I remember our conversation about how I wouldn’t seek companionship with him even if he was the last person on earth and now it seemed I was contradicting myself. We sat in silence for a minuet before I thought of a question to start a conversation.