Chapter 5: Rescue?

“I had a bad feeling about leaving you on that bus alone.” Celestina said sadly, while we caught up over coffee at a local cafe. After I left Pierce Avenue’s bus the DM crew bus pulled in, it hadn’t even stopped yet when Celestina jumped out and tackled me.

   “Don’t feel bad.” I told her putting a reassuring hand on her shoulder, wishing I could erase the guilt she felt, she wore an ashamed look on her face that made my heart twist. “I brought all this on myself, I caused my own beating and will probably cause more because I’ll never be able to conform to what he wants. I’m an expressive individual, born in and raised with the beliefs of the land of the free and I’ll never be a slave to anyone.” I told her, taking on a determined tone. I sipped on a mocha frappuccino thoughtfully, enjoying the chill it brought me as the heat of a Florida fall day began to set in.

   “Have you ever met the boys from Pierce Avenue?” I asked her. This brought a smile to her face.

   “I met them at the pre-tour party, they are great guys, why do you ask?” She asked, still smiling at the thought of them.

   “I met Victor after I stormed out of the bus this morning, he healed me and took me to his bus for breakfast. Their personalities and life contradict everything I’ve ever thought about touring vampires, do they keep humans?” I asked realizing I couldn’t tell a difference between anyone on their bus.

   “Kinda...” She said thoughtfully “They more... rescue humans.”

   “Recuse?”

   “Yes, they don’t take humans because they think its unfair to just up root them and force them to work, and quite honestly I don’t think they’d have it in them to be so mean. The only reason they would have a human on tour with them is if they convinced another vampire to give the human to them and they don’t do that unless the human is getting abused.... needless to say they get most of their humans from James.”

   “At the rate I’m going I’m going to need rescue...” I said quietly to myself

   “If they see it they will always try to help.” She smiled, we sat in silence for a moment when a question popped into my head.

   “Has Rem always been so nice?” I asked. She gave me a questioning look.

   “Like the guitarist of Despite Midnight Rem?”

   “Si.” I giggled at her “He was the first one to help me this morning and I thought it was weird so I figured I’d asked you about it.” I smiled thinking about him.

   “I’ve never physically seen or heard about him being mean but he has never really been nice either. He’s never acknowledged me really so I wouldn’t know.” She said indifferently. “We best be getting back though, everyone should be up and working by now.” We walked back a couple blocks until we arrived back at the venue again. She led me in the direction of the stage and it suddenly dawned on me that today was the day I was suppose to learn the ropes of the stage. 

   “Shit” I cured under my breath. I started to think better thoughts and make myself believe it would be a good day which I started to believe right up until show time when everything went wrong. I knocked over a red bull on the sound board, I miss wired the amps (which is pretty sad, theres only like three plugs..), lost a guitar, put the stage tap down in the wrong places so everything was in the wrong position, ripped the set list trying to tape it down until it was unreadable, and busted a drum head during sound check. I could already feel the hits coming as the regular stage guys reported back each problem to the band. Celestina had joked about a hit rating system, based on how deep James’ frown lines got but I was starting to get worried that wasn’t actually a joke.

   “Sir we cant do sound check the broken mics were put out.” Someone complained, Celestina blushed and went running out to the supply trailer. 

   “Can you do anything right!?” James growled, coming up behind me and slapping the back of my head.

   “Why do we even have broken mics!?” I asked frazzled, he smacked me front on this time, sending me spinning.

   “Damn get it together human.” He looked at me as if I were a mental patient. 

   “I’m sorry! its just a lot to learn at once!” I exclaimed, attempting to argue my case.

   “The other chick learned it all in one day and has never screwed up.”

   “The other chick has a name, its Celestina!” I growled “and not everyone learns at the same time, just like not everyone conforms the same.” I said taking a gab at him. His eyes started to glow crimson and a low growl was uttered from deep in his throat, not only was I correcting him and being disrespectful but I came right out and told him I would never follow him. Despite him having to go on in 15 mins he grabbed a fist full of my hair and started to drag me out the door. Usually I would kick and fight and scream but I just didn’t have it in me. He seemed the notice me coming quietly and he seemed a little saddened by it but he was still pissed off. He was fiddling with the lock to the DM bus when suddenly I was ripped from his grasp. I was pulled back and wrapped protectively in the arms of someone who was staring off with james. They rested their chin on the top of my head and I felt them grin. 

   “Not this time James.” I heard Victor’s voice say, “She is coming with me.” and with that he led me to his bus where he put me in a bunk to sleep for the night.

   “I figured saving you now would keep me from having to use my healing powers. They really do take a lot out of a person.” He smiled warmly.

   “Thank you.” I tried to tell him but my voice broke.

   “It’s alright, I know what you mean.” He said smiling again and patting me on the head. I curled up around the soft pillow content with my current settings I was suddenly feeling really tired. 

   “Rem told me everyone on this tour is a red so why do you so openly help me?” I asked groggily and curiously watching him like a little kid ready for story time.

   “Just because I was born as a red doesn’t mean I’m going to be fake and pretend I’m okay with the things they do. I’m friends with more blues then reds to be honest, thats why I like mixed tours the best.” He sighed “Our whole bands and crew doesn’t uphold the ideals of the reds, we just kinda exist in our own sect. Rem I always had the feeling was more blue then red but he chooses to fake his way through life and please everyone.” He said with a disappointed look.

   “I wouldn’t be to hard on him, its easy for you to stand up for what you believe in because you have your whole band and crew behind you, Rem in alone in his feelings over at Despite Midnight. If he expressed what he really thought it would put his job in danger and maybe even his safety.” I said thoughtfully. He gave a small laugh.

   “Now I know why you and James don’t mix. Your analytical and think for yourself to much, your not as impressionable as the other girls he has dealt with.”

   “I know, and I know I should probably just be a good girl but I just cant bring myself to shut my mouth. I’ve never met someone with an ego as big as his.” He laughed again,

   “Amen to that!” He looked at me seriously and thought for a second. “If I can get him to release you to me would you want to work with us?” I shot straight up, hitting my head on the bunk above me.

   “Ow... yes!” He laughed.

   “He isn’t going to like me much right now since I just took you away from “punishment” but I’ll work on him. Until then get some rest, we’ve already played so if you need me I’ll be in the front.” With that he pulled the curtain shut and walked off. I settled down into my resting place for the night, smiling to myself. 

   “Maybe I’ll actually be free.”

Sorry it’s short, I haven’t been writing much so I wanted to get something up for y’all. Thanks for reading and I hope you stay tuned! Many shocking twists to come, along with more sad but there will be happy! This story isn’t completely depressing, I just have to get through the depressing part to set up the happy part so you all understand it. Its one thing to be told what happened to her to get her where she ends up, its another to read it and interpret it for yourself. So I hope you bare with me and I’d love to hear your comments! <3