Chapter 8: History Class With "Mr. Mac" and "Cabel"

Dinner at my house usually consisted of just Sarah and I. We'd sit at our huge table, she'd listen to her music and I'd text or call one of my friends. It wasn't awkward, just a bit weird considering Sarah and I never talked to each other. I was perfectly fine with it, and it seems like she was too. I remember once when I was little, my math teacher had embarrassed me in front of the entire school and the boy I liked. I thought I was going to die and that nothing would ever be as horrible as that one day. I was wrong.

Sitting across from me was the famous Jerry Kellnick, the richest man in our town who's wife suddenly went crazy then abandoned him and their two daughters. Sitting diagonally from me was his crazy wife who suddenly abandoned Sarah and I, and beside me was Sarah, who was in an oddly happy mood despite all the tension and death glares.

"So," I said to break the silence, "It's good to see you dad. Everything good at the company?"

My dad was an investor, the best one there was. He went to Harvard and met my mom. Apparently they were high school sweet hearts. After he founded "Kellnick Global Corp", he married my mom and she had me.

"Yes, Kellnick Global Corp is extremely well, we just invested in another company, and it looks like they're going to do well in the markets." Part of the reason why my dad was so successful is that he practically owned everything in our town. His company invests in other companies and buys shares of those companies. I think he owns about 63% of our town.

"Good," I said.

"How was school?" my dad asked me randomly.

"Good," I said again, not really wanting to specify.

"I met one of Skye's friends today!" Sarah announced proudly, as if she won the lottery.

"Did you now?" My mother said, breaking off from the silent judgement thing she was always doing.

Sarah nodded enthusiastically, like a bobble-head. "Yep! She was SO pretty! And her hair was fiery red and she came by looking for Skye."

My dad looked interested, which surprised me. "Really? What did she need?" I found it funny that my dad was asking Sarah and not me, the person El had been looking for.

Sarah shrugged, "I dunno. She wanted to say hi to Skye I'm guessing." She continued dissecting her steak and we settled back into an awkward silence. I played with my peas and trying not to make eye contact with my mom or my dad. Finally I finished my dinner and left the dinner table.

I went up to my real room and took off all of my jewelry and make up. I replaced the mini skirt with some comfortable shorts and my short top with a big white and black sweater. I wiped all the make up off my face as well as the red lipstick I was wearing. I felt...comfortable. More like myself.

My phone buzzed in the background, breaking me from my little me intervention. I predicted it was Nicole, but I quickly eliminated her when my phone stopped buzzing. Nicole always texts me a thousand times to get my attention and she would never text me once and stop. I picked up my phone and saw a text from Nick, expected. It said:

Wanna go see a movie? ;)

I considered the offer, do I really want to go see a movie with Nick which is basically him feeling me up for 1 hour and 40 minutes? Hell no. I knew I couldn't use the same excuse I gave Nicole since Nick's not as stupid as her, so I had to make up a fake one.

Me: Sorry, my mom's back, gurls nite out!!! Next time ;P

I got a response right away: