Chapter 4: "What happened to invitations only?"

I was knees deep in algebra homework to avoid thinking about Cain and the party tonight when my phone went off aggressively. For once, I tried hard to concentrate on math and not my phone. However my resolve soon wore out and I couldn't help but check my phone and expectedly, it was Nicole. Ugh, big mistake Skye. Good god, what did she want now?

DONTANSWER: hey!! when do u wanna come over and get ready for the party with the girls?? Also who was that HOT ASS guy today with the HOT ASS?????? Omg bring him tonight PLZ

I considered the options: listen to Nicole and the other girls brag about who they slept with and how they're all soooooo fat or stay at home and watch TV (screw algebra) until it's time for the party. No doubt, I will always choose the latter.

Me: Srry nic, busyyy :(

DONTANSWER: oh that sucks! are u still coming to the party? 

Me: Oh dont worry nic! ill be done soon! I have to wash my cat

DONTANSWER: aww okay but text me when ure done so we can show up together!!!

I chuckled, she just won't quit. Although I'm sure Nicole treasured me as a close friend, I know she only really wanted my approval on what to wear and wanted to show up with me at the party. I threw my phone back onto my bed and sighed in relief, thankful that Nicole wasn't as bright as she was pretty. It was about 4:56, so 4 hours until the party. Normally I would start getting ready, running around and trying on everything, but even with all that mind-numbing algebra, I still couldn't get the talk I had with the kidnapper, I mean, Cain, out of my head. I kept on thinking about what he meant with the whole allegiance thing, and even tried googling it but I still came up with nothing. I glanced out my window, half expecting him to pop out any second and start rambling about something even crazier. I knew he wasn't there but my paranoia still searched my entire front yard. Nothing.

I was picking out a movie in my fake room downstairs when I heard hulk-like footsteps coming up the stairs. For a second, I froze, thinking it was Cain making another home visit, then I realized that he couldn't have possibly since I finally got Sasha to change all the locks. I peeked my head out just in time to see my annoying little sister Sarah stomping up the stairs. By the grasp she had on the glass railings, I was sure she was going to break them.

"Why so grumpy, little dumpy?" I called out to Sarah in an innocent voice.

Through her tear-stricken eyes, she shot me a death glare with make up running down her face that would only work on a 13 year old girl and practically ran into her room, followed by a slammed door.

"Looks like someone's on their period!" I announced loudly so that she could hear me over her extremely exaggerated sobs. I know what you're thinking, probably that I hate Sarah and to be frank, I didn't exactly love her. Ever since my mother left us, I developed this weird jealousy of Sarah. I would never admit to being jealous of a 13 year old, much less a little dweeb like Sarah, and I wasn't proud of it, but like most of my boyfriends, it just happened. I don't think I can ever explain it except the fact that Sarah is just plain annoying.

Climbing back into my real room, I ran my hand through my hair, mostly in frustration. Sometimes I wanted to confess everything, and tell everyone that I'm not the girl they think I am, but then I remember my burnt marks and reality hits me again. I am never going to be the girl I was again.

~*~*~

By the time it was 10, I was ready to go. Since the party started at 8, I had to wait around for a bit until I could leave for the party. It was practically a law that the party automatically does not start until 10 and everyone in my circle knew that, so anyone who was at the party when it started was probably a nerd that snuck in.