Chapter 6: Family Feuds & Cain's Whorehouse

A little bit of info on my mother before we continue: she's a bitch. Well, that's kind of subjective. To me she is. She's whimsical, condescending and always calm no matter what happens. I could be sobbing and screaming at her and she would just stand there and look calm.

"Hello Arya, I wasn't expecting you until much later." She remarked standing over the kitchen sink with her back to me, "I made tea."

I was still shocked from seeing her that it took me a second to realize she was speaking to me. I had forgotten that my mother liked to call Sarah and I by our middle names due to some theory she and my father had concocted when they named us; my father got to choose our first names and she got to choose our middle names. If you ask me she got the blunt of it, which wasn't fair considering she actually birthed us, but I wasn't one to rally for my mom.

She called me 'Arya' and Sarah 'Beth'. That was another reason why I was jealous of Sarah. My mother named me Skye Arya Kellnick, but she had given Sarah the middle name "Elizabeth", which is her name. If that isn't favouritism I don't know what is.

Mom cleared her throat, and dragged me back to the present matter of tea. "I don't want tea." I responded coldly.

"I never said I made tea for you, how quick of you to assume." My mother mused as she elegantly poured tea into a china cup and looked up at me, "Is your shirt wet or just really tight?"

I sighed exasperatedly, after everything, I was not going to deal with her bullshit. "Mother. Why. Are. You. Here?"

"I was in the neighbourhood and thought I'd stop by."

I laughed dryly, "That's a load of bull. Why the hell are you here, Elizabeth?"

She chuckled at the use of her name, and blew into her cup gingerly, "You haven't changed a bit, Arya, still as lovely and proper as the last time I saw you."

My breath caught in my throat as I remembered the last time I saw her.

Beep.......Beep......Beep.

"Arya?" A calming voice urged.

There was only one person who called me that. "Mom?" I groaned, eyes pried open as I sat up.

"Arya! Are you okay?" My mother asked me, looking at me with those aged emerald eyes.

"Mom! Where have you been all these years? You missed my birthday." I mumbled, still woozy from the deep slumber and the stupor of seeing her. Slowly the fuzziness disappeared from my vision, replaced with rage and betrayal.

"You left us." I pushed the words out, tasting their lasting bitterness on my tongue. "How could you? How could you leave us?" A look of sadness and guilt struck her face as I continued, not giving her a chance to speak. "You left us! You ABANDONED us! Do you have any idea what we went through? What dad went through?"

I yanked out all the cords the doctors had attached on me and jumped off the hospital bed as the machines screamed and moaned erratically. I heard footsteps and shouts of doctors and nurses coming down the hallway and my legs could barely hold my weight, dragging me down to the ground, and before I could make it to her my knees went out, collapsing right in front of her. She made no move to help me up and I made no move to get up. I'd let her see what she did to me, I decided. I'd let her see how she damaged me, destroyed me, decimated me.

I held her teary eyes, every one of my words a bullet laced in venom. "Do you know how many birthday wishes I've wasted on you? Do you know how many times I've prayed for you to come back to us? Do you know how many times I've skipped dinner because I knew you wouldn't be at the table? No, you don't. BECAUSE YOU. WEREN'T. THERE."