Prologue: Demons of Hell & Angelic Halo-Monsters

A prissy little black-haired, fair-skinned fourteen-year-old girl sat on her bed, playing with her phone.

To be more specific, Skye was sitting in her white room on her pink bed, texting. One minute she was laughing at something her friend said and the next she was screaming because her wooden door was on fire.

She was home alone and smart enough to know that by the time the firefighters arrived, she'd be dead. She backed up against her window, wishing she could jump out but her room was on the second floor and she wasn't sure she could survive the fall.

Though it wasn't what she was thinking of at the time, the real question was, what started the fire?

Useless tears fell from her face as she watched the flames eat at the door and her cherry-wood flooring. Not long now. She didn't know what to do, her whole life she'd been stinking rich and paid off every problem she faced. It was unlikely Skye could pay the fire off.

And that's when they appeared.

A girl with platinum blond hair and a boy with hair even darker than Skye's. They were opposites of each other. The girl had light green eyes and the boy had dark brown ones, she was petite and he was tall, they didn't resemble each other in any way except that they both seemed to be about eighteen. They looked like two normal people until you saw the flickering tails and the wings woven tightly behind them.

Naturally, she started screaming again.

The two people smiled at her. "We've come for you," they said in creepy union.

"Who-who are you?" Skye stuttered.

"I'm El," the female one said.

"I'm Raum" the boy said, "but the better question is, what are we?" El giggled.

"We're demons come to bring you to hell!" she exclaimed happily.

"I-I'm not dead and I'm not a b-bad person," Skye screamed over the fire, surely hell was only for bad people. Isn't that what everyone says?

"Not dead yet!" El said, giggling again, her blonde hair gleaming amongst the flames. "Instead of painfully burning to death, you can skip all that and just go to your afterlife!"

Skye could almost laugh at how cheerful El was about all of this, as if she had just offered Skye $100 million dollars.

But Skye didn't have time to laugh. She didn't even have time to say goodbye to her cherry-wood flooring as El and Raum each grabbed one of her arms with remarkable strength, and dragged her down.

The trip to Hell, if you're not dead, is hell.

Imagine being whipped, now imagine burning to death at the same time. Now imagine that but also being skinned while your hair gets pulled out, strand by strand. Multiply all this by about 56 and you'll have an idea of what it feels like.

They arrived, or rather, landed in a stone room. "This is as far as you can go before you either agree to skip the fire or die a slow and painful death by burning!" She squealed excitedly at the topic of death.

Skye was rather distraught at this time. She didn't really have time to process the two teenagers in front of her nor their offer of death, but she was sure that she wasn't ready to give her entire life up without a fight. At least in the fire, she had a chance of surviving, if not being horribly injured. Here, all she could do was accept death. But something within Skye wanted to fight, wanted to burn. She was tired of never fighting, of always taking the easy road and for once in her life wanted to fight and struggle for what she wanted. And she wanted to live.