Chapter 31

From the moment Elise was awoken from her oddly restful sleep to the time she was bundled into the carriage to be sent to the chapel by Mrs. Shepherd, Mrs. Anderson and Becky she was unable to think of anything but soon. Soon I shall be a wife! The thought kept a glowing smile on her face and lit her eyes with so much pleasure the other women stopped trying to talk to her and just manoeuvred her wherever she was needed. When she was finally put into the carriage Elise awoke from her stupor enough to ask if Mr. Roy had arrived. She was told he had as the other women bustled into the carriage after her.

"Do you think Mr. Anderson and Mr. Roy would mind walking me down the isle?" Elise's question was met with stupefied stares. Becky was the first to recover and she smiled so wide Elise was sure she would do herself an injury.

"I will see to it Mi'Lady." Her voice wavered but her smile remained firmly fixed in place.

"Perfect, thank you Becky. You don't mind my stealing your husband do you Mrs. Anderson?" Elise looked at the motherly figure Mrs. Anderson had become. Her smile faltered at the blank look on her face. "Mrs. Anderson? Are you quite alright? I shan't insist upon it, if you think he would be uncomfortable..."

Elise needn't have worried though, Mrs. Anderson promptly burst into tears again and had to be soothed by all the women. Her only answer was a watery Oh Lass followed by more sobbing. It took the short journey to the chapel and the full five minutes it took to produce the confused men before Mrs. Anderson was quietly hiccoughing and dabbing her face. Mr. Anderson pounced on his wife, hugging her close and calming her with gentle words. He looked around the assembled group and Mrs. Anderson finally waved him off and headed into the chapel door to meet Sara and head inside. Mr. Anderson made to follow her, but Elise stopped him with a hand to his arm. She did not miss Mr. Roy's flinch when she turned her back to him. The colour drained from his face and she glanced at him worriedly.

"Mr. Anderson, Mr. Roy, I have a small request, if you please?" Both men stilled. Becky slipped away from them with a quiet laugh and Else was heartened. "Might I ask you fine gentlemen to escort me down the isle?" Mr. Anderson clasped her hand, smiling widely grumbling out such a heartfelt thanks Elise kissed his whiskery cheek with fondness. Mr Roy looked ill however, but held his arm out to her with a stupefaction Elise sighed at. His eyes traced the scars on her back and she turned her back to him so he could look his fill. Mr. Anderson patted her hand and told her she looked beautiful, throwing a small scowl at Mr. Roy.

"Bloody Hell... Bloody Hell... Bloody Hell..." Mr Roy repeated as he looked her over. Elise really didn't have time for this, though she understood his revulsion - he knew the man who had taken part in this and had let him go.

"Mr. Roy, I wish to go and make Alexander my husband. Do you think you can help make that happen sooner rather than later?" Her voice was gentle but firm. It snapped him out of his trance and he tugged at his collar, smoothing his waistcoat.

"Of course Lady St. John. I - I am sorry." The words seemed to be dragged from him and she turned to smile at him. He touched his forelock and held his arm out once more. "You look lovely Mi'lady."

With this praise setting her smile back on her face she thanked the men and straightened her spine. Their walk into the chapel was measured and Elise was thankful for the slow pace. Her legs seemed to give out when she took in the fine form of Alexander. His light grey tailcoat hugged his wide shoulders and broad chest, his matching grey pantaloons were skin tight and tailored to perfection. The sight of his un-gloved hands clasped behind his back, resting against the swell of his bottom made Elise clasp her escorts arms a little harder. They quietly laughed and patted her hands in response. Mr. Anderson's colour rose though and Elise almost felt she should apologise, but how could anyone not react to such a fine specimen? Her eyes flickered to Rowan and she grinned as his mind seemed to shut down entirely. His mouth flapped open and closed twice before he snapped it shut and simply stared. They were just starting down the short isle now and Alexander finally turned with a fierce look. Elise was aware of the gazes of their guests, but found she could only stare as Alexander's body turned towards her and she was rewarded with the full effect of his clever tailor's efforts. His crisp white shirt and cravat were impeccable. A small sapphire nestled into the clean folds of the simple traditional knot, it matched his glorious sapphire waistcoat and her dress perfectly. Elise tore her eyes from his body and looked at his face. His jaw was clenched tight and his eyes flared dark as he tensed, drawing in an audible breath.