Chapter 22

Their journey seemed to take forever, Rowan was a notable whip and kept the carriage moving swiftly and smoothly until they reached London. They had a small stop to make for Becky. She needed to get in touch with her Uncle, so they could find out if he knew where the Duke of Newcastle's residence was. Once they reached the docks it was a laborious process finding the correct warehouse and Alex found himself staring at what looked like an abandoned building when he finally alighted.

"Er... This is the place?" Alex's scepticism was mirrored on Rowan's face as he sat atop the recently vacated carriage. He followed Becky to the door and waited as she knocked. "You're quite sure?"

"Oh, she's sure." The voice came from behind them and Alex stiffened, turning slowly to face the newcomer. Newcomers. "And who is this hulking reaper you've brought to see us, Chick?" Alex scanned the 8 men that stood behind them. Three more stood next to the carriage, guns trained on Rowan and Alexander lifted his head in a silent question. Rowan responded with a stiff nod and Alex focussed on a rather plain looking man standing closest to them.

"This is His Grace, Alexander Elijah Montgomery Ansulthwaite, the thirteenth Duke of Northcrest. He is my employer Puddy! Oh, an' that over there is his manservant Rowan Shepard. They're a fine sort - no need for all this nonsense Puddy. D'ya not trust me?" Becky's voice was chastisement and amusement blended with a deference Alex found bemusing.

"P- Puddy?" Alex did not know what had possessed him to say such a thing as the countenance of the perfectly ordinary man transformed into something ugly and vicious.

"Your Grace, may I introduce Mr. Porter Roy my Uncle. Puddy here knows everything there is to know about everything and anyone, don't you Puddy?" Becky's reverence was back and the savage man was once again the doting Uncle, his face softened and he turned adoring eyes on his niece. He knew the name Porter Roy and it did not blend well with the Puddy Becky was gazing at. Porter Roy was a smuggling boss, a cutthroat and a generally terrible human being - according to his shipping interests specifically and the law in general. Alex assessed the man before him, he did not seem like a smuggling murderer; but who was Alex to judge - he was a recluse who lived in a cloak. Becky continued, oblivious to Alex's inner turmoil. "He's so clever Your Grace. I just know he will be able to help us. Wontcha Puddy?" Alex watched as Puddy flushed and smiled.

"Right, let's get in then." His voice was gruff as he faced Alex again as the large loading doors of the warehouse were opened. He gestured to the warehouse with a mocking bow. "Yer Grace." Alex inclined his head towards Rowan in question, but he needn't have bothered. "Oi, get that one from that carriage and get it hidden in 'ere!" His shout was met by a tut from Becky as she linked Puddy's arm.

"Be nice to them Puddy. They're very good to me, as well you know!" Becky was still chastising him as the Duke, the maid, the manservant and the ordinary looking murderer all sat down in a surprisingly plush sitting room cum office. Rowan muttered about Porter Roy not being the sort of man one called Puddy and Alex could not help the snort of amusement.

"So? What can I do fer ya and yer guests Chick?" The glare Porter Roy sent their way let the know he had heard every word and did not appreciate it being mentioned. Becky looked to Alex, asking silent permission to divulge everything. Alex nodded and settled himself back into the seat. "D'ya have to wear that stupid bloody thing?" Roy's rage was directed at Alex's hood and Becky gasped.

"It is more for your comfort than my own, I assure you. I am not something someone wishes to see for extended periods of time - or at all for that matter." Alex's voice was silky but held a razor edge of tension that had Porter Roy snapping his head back from looking over Becky.