Chapter 18

Rowan marched to the study, rapping smartly on the door. He waited with barely concealed impatience. He could hear a low conversation taking place and was surprised Alex had yet to manage to oust his visitor. Avonlea had arrived unannounced and uninvited at just before 11 o'clock and it was now well after 4. Alex had been ensconced in the study, having not slept well the night before. It had sent the house into a conniption to try and find him, he was not in his room, he was not in the library, nor the kitchen, nor any of the echoing wings of this palatial place. It was only when Alex had stuck his hooded head through the door to ask what had everyone is such a tizzy that Rowan had relaxed. Rowan had handed over the calling card, informing Alex that the gent had been ensconced in the blue drawing room with tea and was expecting Alex's arrival at his earliest convenience. Rowan had helped his friend to the nearest chair and waited while Alex passed through several moods. He had coaxed, calmed, cajoled, rallied and finally escorted Alex, his disbelief giving way to a fierce pride as he settled them and asked if anything else was required. He had been dismissed kindly by Avonlea, who had merely peered at the hooded form of Alexander and sipped his tea.

"Enter." The call was jovial and Rowan steeled himself.

"Your Grace, excuse the interruption." Rowan spoke as he entered, tiled his head to Avonlea and uttered another "Your Grace."

"Are you quite alright Rowan?" Alexander rose, reaching out to Rowan. "Come, sit. Excuse us Avonlea, can you make your way back to the drawing room?" His question was met with a swift nod and Avonlea removed himself from the room. "What is it?" Alex asked leaning down to his friend and pulling back his hood so he could really assess Rowan.

"I need to talk to you about something. I fear I have made a massive mistake in one of your investments. I cannot tell you how I know what I know, I just need you to trust me. I need you to stop trading with the north. I need you to just trust me and cease your business with that bastard!!" Rowan spat the last word with so much venom he started himself.

"Newcastle?" Alex asked eyeing Rowan warily. "Why? What's happened?" Alex then paused and shook his head with a smile. "You cannot tell me. I am sorry to have asked, old friend." With this said Alex rounded his desk and pulled out a fresh sheet of foolscap and began a letter to extricate himself from his business dealings. He gave no reason, and the note to Newcastle's solicitor was curt and quite without apology. It demanded the release of what remained of his investment along with the agreement of the remainder being written off, no further payments would be expected from the Duke of Newcastle. He made sure this was quite clear, he wanted a clean break and would bear any losses without complaint. There would be no liability on the Duke's behalf. This he hoped would be done without delay and could be finalised by his own solicitor. The second sheet of foolscap pulled in front of him gave a slightly amended version of this message, but the message was clear and to the point: End all dealings with Newcastle forthwith. His solicitor was an intelligent and capable man and would follow his instructions to the letter, he was sure.

With this done Alex looked to his friend once more. Rowan was drinking the brandy Alex had been nursing since 1 o'clock and staring at him in silent appreciation.

"Send these off for me would you? I need them to go out today." Alex's voice was quiet but soothing.

"Of course Your Grace. Thank you, Your Grace." Rowan swallowed the last of the brandy, looked at the glass sheepishly and then handed the empty container to Alex who merely laughed and put it down on his desk. He bowed slightly and left the room - it was not something he usually did, but such was his gratitude he felt he must show his reverence and appreciation in every way he could. Alex's laugh followed him down the corridor.