Chapter 30

Elise made her way from the room and ascended the stairs with a light step. She caught up with Becky and Sara in the blue room, chatted for a few minutes before wandering next door to help Rowan.

"You'll never guess what!" Elise gushed as she rushed to Rowan's side. "He's in the parlour with them, smoking and laughing...." Rowan raised his eyebrows as if to say, And? Elise smiled and added. "He is in the parlour with them without a cloak!!"

"Without a cloak?" Rowan's voice was dubious.

"Just as I said! Without a cloak!!" Elise grabbed his tense frame into a crushing hug, releasing him just as suddenly. "Oh Rowan!! Isn't it wonderful?!" She shook him slightly, the smile practically cracking her face.

Rowan stared at her for a moment before crowing with delight and dragged her back to him to kiss her forehead and crush her slight frame to him. Elise laughed giddily as she was squashed to him. He released her and ran a hand through his hair, looking at her with such a boyish smile she felt her heart squeeze.

"Well done, Darling. I don't know how you did it, but well done. When I saw them there on the doorstep with their bags I thought we would have the Devil's own job getting him to go and see both of them together at all. I was convinced he would insist upon a cloak for the wedding, if he couldn't insist them out of the door first, and I knew you would be livid. I have been listening for the screaming row when you finally told him. I assumed he would be furious!" Rowan looked at her with such appreciation she blushed a little.

"He was not happy with me at all. He went all stiff and formal and called me madam in that way he has." Elise scoffed and frowned. "I lost my temper with him a little and reminded him of how much he likes them and begged a tad." Elise's voice became wry. "I may have bribed him with brandy and cigars too..." Rowan barked out a laugh and patted her arm.

"He really doesn't drink very much very often, you know? His father was heavy on the stuff and Alexander has never been able to abide it to excess.... Only when it all became too much would he allow himself more than a glass or two a month. He always said it got too dark when he was foxed." Rowan's voice was serious as he met her surprised look. "And, he has had those cigars since Avonlea sent them to him two Christmases ago... He didn't go for the brandy and cigars Elise... Of that you can be certain. He did it because you asked him to, not because you bribed him to." He smiled at her and then turned back to his work, letting his words fully sink in.

"Oh..." was the most eloquent response Elise could muster as she felt a riot of emotions rush through her. Her mind reeled as she tried to sort them and she busied her hands helping Rowan. Then a thought occurred to her. "Would you go and join them Rowan? I left Alexander alone with them to come and help you, but I can finish this off in no time. It will good for him to have you there too. It might calm Mr. Tate - I fear he is a little star struck." Elise giggled as she told him about the gushing praise and the fumbled greeting followed by the reverent business related conversation that often embarrassed Alex as much as it pleased him.

"I don't think I will be welcome. I am only a servant Elise, despite the closeness of our friendship." Rowan's voice was doubtful, his posture wary. "Avonlea was happy to talk to me in the kitchen, but that is my domain... the parlour is their domain."

"Don't be so silly Rowan!" Elise chided, frowning. "You are his friend as much as they are, and you're not a servant you're his family. Go and see to him Rowan, he will be glad of the company, I promise you."