Chapter 16

Chapter 16

   “Oh! Hello there, lovebirds, and welcome back for another episode of the love of your favorite girl. That’s right… Ria! Guess what happened today?” Erik dramatically asked, using hand gestures and this time, a wooden spoon as a microphone. He looked both ways for someone to answer his rhetorical but not rhetorical question. Seeing someone (or me), he suddenly appeared in front of me and shoved the spoon into my face asking, “What happened today, Ria?”

   “Nothing happened! What is up with this show? First you pester me about love and stuff and now you have your own little show? Can’t you be serious about things – we’re preparing for the expedition outside the walls. It’s in a few days, you know, the expedition that you’ve heard about from everyone? I think it’ll be nice to help me out or do something useful for once,” I complained.

   “Aye, aye, captain!” Erik saluted, getting into the straightest, stiffest position.

   I think it’s better just to ignore that kid. Yeah, he’s my brother but I’m starting to feel like he really is a wild child from the woods, raised by the trees or something. This is just not normal. After scanning my surroundings, I spotted Lukas and yelled, “Lukas! I have to ask you about something!”

   He started walking towards me in a brisk pace and replied, “What is it?”

   “Is it – ” Erik started but I cut him, saying, “Don’t even start that again.”

   “Um, so are you sure that Commander Erwin is coming for the expedition? I just don’t want to command hundreds of people all of a sudden,” I admitted.

   “Yeah, of course he is. But when the worst situation comes, I guess you have to be in charge. You have to be prepared for anything out there, Ria.”

   “Hmm… I know! We can practice each of our commanding skills! Here, let’s gather some people! We’ll meet in the dining room,” I recommended. Everyone agreed and we were out gathering some people. I found a soldier walking in the hallway and I shouted, “Hey there! Do you want to practice your commanding skills? You’ll get, um… bread! Yeah bread’s good, right? If you come to the commanding… session, then you’ll receive free bread! Wanna come? It’s in the dining room.”

   The soldier shrugged and started to follow me. One person found! A lot more to go though…

~*~

   “Everyone! I am glad to present the all new foundation! It is… the Ria Commanding Foundation!” Erik received a forceful nudge from me. “Oww! I mean, Commanding for Newbies! Today we will learn how to command from our star guest… your favorite heichou! Unfortunately we have to make do with heichou although we all would’ve preferred Commander Erwin, but he is busy!” Erik received a glare from Levi. “Now, today we will each command and make sure to be the best audience that participates for each new commander! When someone is commander, make sure to cheer and yell like it was a real expedition. Make it feel like the commander was actually your commander. Okay so the first person up will be – ” Erik gasped. “You’re that guy from yesterday! Did… did you eat my bread yesterday?”

   I let Erik talk to himself and that random soldier I found while I announced, “Erik! Be the commander!”

   With that said, he went back to his super straight posture and declared, “We have made it this far! We will not give up! Fight against the titans even if it costs your life! Why have we made it this far? Why are you still alive? Because you have listened to my orders and the more important reason… love! You have someone back home or on the battlefield that you love, right? Let love be your motivation! Let love be your courage! Let love be your destiny! Now, all forces, split up into pairs! We will reinforce the backups and make a pathway through the titans! Make sure all civilians are safe! Don’t forget this: love is your motivation!”