Chapter 8

Chapter 8

What is this? An endless oblivion of sparkling water came into view. It had wrinkles and kept on dancing, making calm, soothing whispers that echoed throughout the open space. The sun appeared to be on top of it all, beaming its luminous rays across the water. Wispy clouds were dissipating around the sun and somehow this whole scene was... astonishingly beautiful. Looking down, my feet had this grinded, fine grain of sand lodged in between the toes. The texture was rough but smooth and when I reached over to taste the water, it was too salty. Behind me, there was something familiar to me: the forest. However, beyond the forest in the distant background, there were these towering heaps of rock. They all had different designs: some were shaped like a mouth with fangs while others had just a simple peak at the top. On some of the mysterious towers though, the top couldn't be seen and seemed to spiral up into the heavens. Where is this wonderland? Suddenly, footsteps were heard on the sand.

Turning around, I saw Lukas waving at me. Smiling, I waved back while gleefully dancing around on the sand. He seemed frantic and then the trees collapsed and out came a... titan. It clumsily ran towards Lukas with hunger dwelling in its eyes. Lukas turned back to look at it and then averted his eyes to me as he was saying something. The titan swiftly snatched him and before he was eaten, Lukas stared at me intently with a faint smile on his face. But in the midst of that, I could've almost sworn I saw that faceless man with his hat lurking in the trees but then a raven with beady blood-shot eyes swooshed down, covering him.

~*~

"Oi, Ria! We're going to be late!" Lukas screeched while shaking me. Geez, he's strong.

"What?" I wrapped the covers around me, turning into a human cocoon, "Just leave me alone, I'm really exhausted after that cleaning so don't ruin my nap."

He sighed while muttering, "Did you really forget about today, Ria?"

My eyes perked up with interest while I excitedly asked, "What? What's today?"

"Well, I told you earlier that we were going to see that titan kid at his trial. We're already late because it was really hard waking you up," Lukas nervously answered.

"No way," I kept on mumbling while I shot out of bed and got ready. How could I totally forget about this and just go leisurely take a nap? What's even worse is that Lukas didn't even remind me! Oh well, I'm already late so I have to make sure I'm not that late. Just how stupid am I to get myself in this situation in the first place?

~*~

"Here we go," I opened the double doors to the trial and came at a pretty bad time.

"NO! No... you are wrong. You always use conjectures in a way to just fit your interests. First, you haven't even seen a titan in your life. What are you so afraid of? If the ones that possess power don't fight, then who are going to fight? If you are afraid to fight then don't stop me from fighting. You cowards...JUST SHUT UP AND LEAVE ME BEAR EVERYTHING MYSELF!" the boy tethered to the pole shouted with anger. I'm guessing that's Eren. It's either someone angered him or he has anger issues. What he said does have a good point though. We don't fight but hide and the people who could fight choose not to. I can't really relate to this, but maybe if I was born in the walls in fear of the titans, I might've been the same way.

I closed the door and it made a creaking noise, making everyone look towards me. Well, this is awkward, I just broke the awkward silence. Quickly, looking around, I scanned for some people I knew and spotted Levi. However, he was walking towards Eren and out of nowhere, he just kicked him! He continued to beat him up and then proceeded to say, "It's just my personal opinion but I believe pain is the best tool for discipline. You don't need to be educated by words. You need training. You've fallen low enough that you're easy to kick around, anyway."