Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"ONWARD!" The horses started trotting all at once after the gate opened up, showing everyone the titan's territory.

Today was the 57th Expedition Beyond the Walls with the Scouting Formation made by Commander Erwin. After all those days memorizing and studying the formation, today was the day I was to put that to use. We were already outside now and I was riding next to Lukas. What confused me though were all the houses outside.

"Lukas, why are all these houses here? Don't tell me..." I asked with a frightened expression, expecting an answer that was already painted in my mind with titans devouring humans.

"Yeah, while you were living outside, the third wall, Wall Maria, was attacked and taken over by the titans. This is part of Wall Maria, or what's left of it," Lukas answered with a low voice, not wanting to bring it up again when all the other soldiers were filled with determination.

Even though it was a couple steps from inside the walls and outside, there was almost a change in the atmosphere. It was tense but I felt free. The sun shined above, with no limitations on where its rays went. Now I was free to wander outside the walls, with no limitations or walls stopping me. Continuing to gaze upon the horizon I wondered what was beyond. What was beyond those houses, beyond that forest, and beyond the fields?

"Ria! It's time to get in our positions!" Lukas ordered.

I nodded and steered my horse to the left. Lukas led the way while I followed. We had the same positions, in the Left Flank in the second outermost row. While everyone followed instructions and went strictly into their positions, I was amazed that everyone knew where to go. I was even more amazed on the formation and how Commander Erwin thought of it. Before long, a red flare was shot a few ways from where I was.

Taking out the flares, I prepared and shot the gun, shooting the red signal into the sky. Soon, red flares were going off one after another, creating a domino effect and everyone patiently waited for the green signal. The Commander's flare went off and shot in the opposite direction of all the red flares. I looked at Lukas to see if he saw the signal but he wasn't looking right at me. What is it? Quickly peering behind me, I saw a group of old houses. However, a short, chubby titan appeared and chased me.

It's still behind me by some distance, it'll be alright. After calming myself, I took a red flare out and was about to shoot it when I heard a crash. Surprised, I dropped the gun and the red flare exploded, blinding my vision. I immediately started rummaging through the bag, looking for a spare gun. There should be one here. In the process, I dropped two more flares, both red and the titan crushed both. The mist of red grew and surrounded me completely.

I had no idea where the titan was going to attack from. It could only be a couple seconds from now until the titan comes out of nowhere and eats me. Screaming out of fear, I just kept on riding forward. Please, please, the red fog has to end. I see light! I'm getting closer but the air feels more humid than usual... Slowly cranking my head to my left side, I saw the face of the giant. Petrified, I couldn't move at first and its drool dripped onto my face. This is where it ends.

The sound of metal awakened me from my thoughts as I touched my face. Looking down at my fingers, I saw blood. Blood but it's not my blood, it's - I saw the titan lying down in front with steam seeping from its neck. A person, no, a guy was standing on the titan's head.

"Lukas!" I shouted in relief. A smile escaped from my lips.

"Stupid, you know you could've switched to 3D Maneuver Gear. I was expecting more of you from that but you forgot that we were traveling together. Don't fret too much; we're a team while we're out here in titan territory," Lukas assured with a somewhat reassuring smirk.