Chapter 32 (1982)

When I tell Lucas about Seth's visit, he's beyond pissed. His first instinct is to confront him and fight it out. I have to bring out the big guns to stop him from acting on his instinct. "If you do this Lucas, we are done." We're sitting in second period with the door locked. He looks at me long and hard. "I've had enough of his threats. I'm not afraid of him." I know he's not afraid of Seth, but I am. I know what he's capable of. "I swear Lucas I will break up with you. I won't be the reason you end up hurt or in jail. I'm not worth it," I tell him as tears slide down my face. "Stop it. You are worth everything Destiny. I would die for you. Your life is more important to me than mine." I stare at him. "Don't say that Lucas. My life is not more important than yours. I have no life without you. I wouldn't be able to survive without you. Please don't mess with Seth. Let's just take a break for a bit." "You can't be serious," he says moving away from me. "You just stood here and told me that you can't survive without me but yet you want to take a break." I step towards him and grab his hand. "It's not a real break as in I am breaking up with you. It's just a temporary hiatus to throw Seth off."

It took the entire period for me to convince Lucas to go along with my plan. We would stay away from each other at school. If Seth did think we were together, the break would show him we weren't anymore. I would go back to study hall where Seth would see me every day. I'd make sure I didn't look for Lucas anywhere. We would continue to meet at our spot several times a week. Hopefully at some point Seth would leave me alone. "It's just until summer," I promised him.

The few times a week we would meet at our spot was never enough. Now when we were together our time was spent catching up. We spent less time making out and just getting right to it. We still couldn't get enough of each other. It wasn't even about the sex. It was the connection. How we needed to be inside each other to feel whole. I couldn't imagine ever having this connection with anyone else. It consumed me. I don't think more than five minutes would pass without me thinking of Lucas. My dreams were filled with Lucas. I couldn't image ever loving anyone as much as I loved Lucas. I often wondered if we were special. Were there any other couples out there that felt like we did. When Lucas and I became official it was my plan to ask everyone and anyone that question. I wanted to know if their love felt anything close to my love for Lucas.

It's the third week in May. School will be out in a few weeks. Lucas and I planned to officially start dating the week after school was out. We're at our spot. We've just finished filling each other in on our day. I pull Lucas to me and kiss him. Suddenly there is a loud crashing. Glass is everywhere. "What the hell," Lucas says pulling away from me. He looks around the room. A big rock is lying on the floor with glass from the window shattered everywhere. "Stay here," he tells me as he opens the door and looks around. I watch as he steps outside to get a better look. I hear a noise and hurry to the door. Lucas is on the ground. I look around and see Seth. I step outside as Lucas picks himself up. Seth had tackled him.

"I warned you Destiny," he yells at me. "You chose him over me." I stare at him stunned. "What are you doing here," I ask him as Lucas steps in front of me. "I knew you were still seeing him," he yells. He looks at Lucas with disgust. "You two didn't think I would notice. The longing looks at lunch. The "accidental" Brushes against each other in the halls at school. You think I was stupid enough to buy the whole I'm not seeing anyone ruse. I've been watching you Destiny. You are a lying little whore bitch," he yells coming at me.

Lucas steps up to stop him. "Don't fucking touch her Seth." Seth takes a swing, but Lucas ducks. This enrages Seth. "Seth, stop. I'm sorry. We're just friends," I lie with desperation. There's no one to stop a fight. I'm panicked. I watch in horror as Seth takes another swing at Lucas and hits him this time. "Seth stop," I cry out racing to put myself between them. "I told you there would be no one else Destiny. That was the deal. You lied and cheated. Now I'm going to fuck up your boyfriends nasty face."