🎀Eight🎀

If there is a single lesson that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so.

- Lev Grossman -

___________________________

I was unable to catch any sleep that night. I kept tossing around in my bed thinking of what lay ahead, especially in the following days.

Would I make it? What if it turned out to be a disaster and I was just wasting my time and energy? In the end I decided to ignore those questions and pursue my dream. If I fail I would try again. After all, I would never give up.

I fell asleep around 3:00 a.m. due to which I woke up late.

Great way to start a day!

I took a quick shower, put on some worn out pants, a tank top and applied some makeup. I felt like a teenager all over again.

This was not good. Christ, I'm married!

Before I could change there was a knock on the door. Who could it be at this hour? I opened the door to find a sexy Adam standing before me. He was wearing a black T-shirt which hugged his abs, shorts and sandals.

Talk about being casual.

"Good morning, Kate." He said his eyes roaming over my body, drinking me in.

"Good morning, Adam. What brings you here?"

"I thought we were supposed to be somewhere today."

"Yes. I actually woke up late and was preparing myself." I said letting him in as I closed the door.

Where was Steve?

From what I remembered he did not sleep here last night. It was better if I did not see him before leaving, especially with Adam at the apartment.

"By the way, you look good." He said, making me blush. I prayed that he would not notice my crimson cheeks.

Just a few simple words and that is how I react?

"Thanks. You too." I replied.

He was handsome, he was sexy as hell.

"Well, let me see if we can find an available flight while you finish what you were doing." He broke the awkward moment.

"Sure, I'll make it fast." I went back into my room, packed the rest of the toiletries but when I tried to shut the suitcase it would not budge. I pressed down on it with all my weight only to make all the clothes fall on the floor. As I hastily gathered them, suddenly my door opened.

"Kate, I was..." His voice trailed when his eyes caught something.

I followed his gaze and immediately gasped. He was staring at my red thong which was sprawled across the floor, right next to his feet.

Of all things that could have landed there, why did it have to be a damn thong?

He regained his composure, "I came to tell you that I found one which leaves in thirty minutes. Is that okay with you?"

"Yeah. Let me just finish here, I'll be done in a minute." I said and he left the room.

I resumed what I was doing and made sure that my toiletries were the first to go in this time. Fortunately, the suitcase closed. Just as I was about to leave the room, my cell phone rang. It was Allie.

"Hey, Allie."

"Hey, Kate. So, should I be expecting you or did you change your mind?"

"What makes you think that?"

"Okay, that's great to hear cause I'm staying at a hotel and I was about to book a room for you." She said.

"Oh, that's sweet. But make that two rooms."

"Come on now. Are you afraid to share a room with a woman?"

"No. It's actually a man."

"Definitely not changing it!"

"Allie! He's married." I could not believe what she was suggesting.

"So are you! So, what's the problem? I'm sure cuddling is not a sin unless you have some chemistry going on."

"Allie, don't insist. We will talk when I get there, but you have to promise you will book two rooms. Not one!"

"I'll think about it." She said and hung up.

She was dead if she booked one room instead of two.

I could not maintain my sanity around him in normal room, let alone a bedroom.

I was thinking of writing a note to Steve but decided against it since he knew I was going to go. I took my suitcase outside where I found Adam talking on his phone.

"Yes. I will call you once we arrive." He said and hung up.

"Was that you wife?" I asked him as I put my suitcase in the trunk next to his.

"Yes, it was Gladys."

"Is she okay with this?"

"Yeah! Why wouldn't she?"

"Nothing I just wanted to know." At least he had an understanding partner unlike mine.

He opened the car door for me, allowing me to climb in. My excitement for the trip began when he started the car and we drove off. After a while he stopped the car and looked at me.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

He said nothing as he leaned in, closing in the distance between us, "Adam, what are you-"

"Relax, you forgot to put on your seatbelt." He said as he clasped my seatbelt in place and he continued driving.

We reached the airport in silence. We handed over our suitcases for checking and before I knew it we were taking off.

Miami here I come!

He was sat beside me, on my other side sat an old woman who kept laughing at what she was reading. The flight was three hours long which made me decide to rest while Adam was trying to engage in a conversation with the old woman.

Their hushed voices and giggles prevented me from getting any sleep even though I tried very hard to ignore them. Instead I looked out the window to admire the spectacular view which made me breathless. I realized we had reached Miami.

"Oh, dear! What a view!" The woman exclaimed.

"You like it?" Adam asked.

"Yes. It's so breathtaking."

Before Adam could respond, the pilot's voice informed us that we had reached our destination.

=====================

Hello there!

I hope you are doing fine with your families. I don't have much to say but to tell you happy reads to all and enjoy :)

People who are confused with the quotes at the beginning of the chapter, they are just random quotes that I share with you. Though it may happen, they have nothing to do with the chapter.

Anyways stay tuned and stay home.

Much love 🧡

Marty.