Extra [pt. 1]

A/N: Hello everyone! Thank you so much for reading, commenting and voting on this book after all this time. After a long hiatus, I went back to writing and decided to pick up the story of my two favourite characters in this book, Aiden and Jake. I'm also thinking about writing a short book about them, as a sequel to SMBA, so let me know if you're interested in reading it :) Hope you enjoy it! 
~

In his years as a Beta, Jake had seen plenty of couples going through the mating ritual. He knew that sooner or later he would also go through it, but he would've never imagined it would be in circumstances like these. They had just fought a battle and were left with several casualties, two headless packs (until Macy and Aiden took over one each) and lots of uncertainty for the future.

But at least he had found his lifelong companion.

He could laugh at the ridiculous timing if it wasn't because he was so damn nervous he felt he was going to throw up. But he kept walking, making his way on his own with his thoughts towards the ritual site.

As Jake neared the place, his wolf began pacing faster than before. The breeze carried all scents from the pack members including that of Aiden, which was stronger and sweeter and much more intoxicating. He could nuzzle that smell every single day and not get tired of the way it made his wolf purr.

Even now, he could gladly nuzzle his mate's neck. Aiden stood next to Donovan behind the fire, and he couldn't help but remember the first time he had seen him: all the way up in the forest trees', eyes glowing in the middle of the night, watching him carefully. Now they were also glowing, both from the reflection of the fire and from his evident desire, following him as he made his way to his side. His cheeks suddenly felt warm as his mate gave him a small smile.

"We were blessed again," Donovan began, addressing the pack. "After all that pain and suffering, we are gathered here once more because of union and lifelong companionship; once more gathered to celebrate two souls becoming one. And this time," His friend glanced at them with an approving look. "We are reminded that no matter our differences –or similarities-, the bond does not care for our ephemeral bodies and kinds, but for what lies inside of us. So I encourage you to give these two nothing but best wishes as they become Alphas of Gravecrown pack and mates for life"

Jake was scared to look up. He would have expected to see surprised looks, even some of repulsion or disapproval, but there were none of those. The pair was met with smiles, encouraging nods and gestures, including that idiot Volk drying his fake tears with an invisible handkerchief, mouthing they grow so fast or something.

"Step forward" Donovan's words snapped Jake's attention back to him, and they did. Jade handed him the ritual dagger, stopping to wink an eye at him in encouragement, and then he continued. "Your vows are next. Okay?"

"Yes, Alpha"

"Good," He nodded and turned to Aiden. "Do you take Jake as your life-long mate, accepting him as your partner with all of us as witnesses?"

"Yes, I do"

Jake's knees nearly gave out as he spoke those words. Aiden seemed to sense it, because he looked down at him with a smirk.

"And do you, Jake, take Aiden as your life-long mate, accepting him as your partner with all of us as witnesses?"

"Yes, I do"

Just as he uttered the words, he felt the burning touch of his mate briefly caressing his hand before baring his palm to Donovan. Jake mirrored his movement, and Don carefully made a cut deep enough to have blood flooding their hands. As soon as the Alpha cut his', Jake noticed how Aiden's his sharp intake of breath and how his eyes flashed a golden colour for less than a second.

Hold on, he told him. You'll taste him soon enough.

Aiden just smiled and grabbed his hands so that their blood mixed together, not waiting for Donovan to do it for them. An incredible warmth shot up his arm, and he could literally feel Aiden's strong blood mixing with his' tightening their bond, fading their essences together. Even if he didn't know about his past or his kind, he felt one with him.

His mate didn't wait for him to instruct them to go around the fire either, much to the Alpha's chagrin. Jake could practically see Donovan rolling his eyes.

"Well then," Don said as they finished circling the fire. "As Alpha of this pack, I'm proud to name you mates"

The whole pack immediately started cheering, and Jake found himself cheering too, still holding his mate's hand. A downpour of flower petals fell on them, so many flying in the breeze even Aiden's stoic face broke into a grin.

Now that was a sight to behold: his mate, grinning openly without a care in the world, looking at him as light blue and ivory petals floated around them. He was a vision.

Maybe this was going to go better than he imagined.

"You didn't kiss me during the ritual" Jake found himself saying, almost in a surprised tone. Knowing of Aiden's provoking nature, he would've imagined he was going to French-kiss him in front of the whole pack.

"You looked like you were gonna throw up on me if I did" His mate replied with a grimace as he guided him away from the pack and towards Jake's house.

"I wasn't going to throw up," He said, embarrassed. Aiden seemed to pick up on it, judging by the soft look he was now giving him. "I was just a bit..."

"Yeah, I could tell. I didn't want you to feel uncomfortable in front of your pack"

Jake smiled at his mate's consideration and internally bit his lip. Maybe this was the only time he'd see his mate being this gentle because he doubted he'd be this calm as soon as the door of his house closed after them.

Oh, my.