Chapter 20

Chapter 20

[The next morning]

“Alpha, there is a man who claims to be an Alpha in the border”

Hugh looked up from the paperwork in his hand and frowned at the patrol leader standing at his office door. An Alpha? Surely Donovan wasn’t stupid enough to come pick a fight with him, right? He had to be a bit more intelligent than that.

“Has he said his name or pack?”

“No Alpha, he only said he had rather ‘urgent matters’ to speak with you”

The Alpha’s frown deepened further, but curiosity won and he nodded.

“Alright, send him in”

“Yes, sir”

“That’s all for now, Aiden” Hugh said before he could stop himself. However, the patrol leader bent his head and left without a word, closing the door behind him.

Hugh was still surprised his most loyal minion had left the pack abruptly, with no word whatsoever. Not that anyone in the pack noticed, but after having him worship the ground he walked on for years Hugh did notice his absence now. It wasn’t as if he cared, anyway. The kid had always seemed too submissive, too reserved, and if he was completely honest too weird to keep around. Yet something, something had automatically convinced him of taking the strange teenager in back when he first found him wandering around the perimeter of his territory. Something had told Hugh to keep the boy close, teach him the ways of his pack and make him a new member of it. And he had. Aiden sure was a pain in the ass, always being on a high horse to others in the pack, but whatever Hugh said Aiden did without complaint, so he didn’t mind.

Why could he have left so suddenly? Where had he gone?

The knocking on his office door made Hugh snap out of his thoughts.

“Come in”

He stood up just as a tall man, taller than him, appeared on the door. He had dark blonde hair and brown eyes, giving him a youthful look although he was obviously well-over his mid-forties, like Hugh himself. Plus he had an air of power, of no-bullshit, that Hugh was very familiar with. He instantly liked this man.

“Thank you for accepting a meeting with me, Alpha Hugh,” The man said with a polite smile as he shook Hugh’s hand. “Especially on such short notice”

“One of my patrol leaders mentioned it was urgent,” Hugh replied, sitting down. “Please take a seat, Alpha…”

“Alpha Stan”

[Hours previously]

“Was it really necessary to tie me up? I came here on my own free will”

“If I didn’t need you to talk, I’d gag you”

Donovan clicked the lock of the silver handcuffs around Aiden’s wrists -the same handcuffs Jake had used on him the night he met Jade- and observed his work. He had him cuffed to a chair in the living room, slightly dazed at a few punches Donovan had delivered but with a smug expression on his face. Aiden wasn’t particularly big in height or broadness, not as much as Jake or him, yet he had something that made Donovan want to lock him and chain him so he couldn’t touch them in any way.  

The Alpha stood next to Jade, both looking down at Aiden.

“What makes you think I’ll talk?”