Chapter 21

Chapter 21:

Jake was a mere observer of the scene unfolding in front of him, like he was watching a movie he was no longer a part of.

He watched silently as Donovan and Jade rushed around the house getting whatever they needed to carry out this madness of a plan. Volk and Macy had gone in search of the twins to inform them what was going on, while Blake and Viola had gone to retrieve her bag of stones for the group to take for protection. And Jake…Well, he had to babysit the hybrid. Because even if he didn’t approve of this whole thing, the least he could do was make sure Aiden couldn’t stab them in the back.

But he’s stabbing us on the back with his eyes, Jake.

That much was true; he could physically feel the hybrid’s eyes on him, caressing every part of him with no rush. Jake shivered.

When Blake and Viola came back, Jade took them to the kitchen to let Viola give her the gemstones and explain how to use them, and Donovan continued to run up and down the stairs, down to his basement –where Jake knew he kept a few special, silver-bullet arms- and back up to his office with black bags. Volk and Macy arrived soon after and informed Donovan that two groups of ten men each were ready to accompany them, and that the vehicles were ready.

And just like that, they were gone. Without him. Without even looking at him or waving at him or anything. The only one that gave him a small nod and a reassuring smile was Jade, and that made him feel a bit better, but not much.

“What happened up there earlier?” Viola said as Jake sat down on the couch and leaned on his knees. She sat on the armrest, watching him carefully, with Blake by her side.

Trust Viola to read him like one of her magic books.

“Nothing,” He shook his head, and glanced at Aiden. Just in case… “I’m to stay here and watch the hybrid”

Viola nodded, apparently not too convinced, but didn’t say anything else.

“You should probably go rest,” Jake looked at the clock. 7.08 am. “After the ritual and all this I doubt you’ve slept at all”

The couple blushed profusely and he had to fight the urge to laugh. No sleep at all indeed, judging by the fresh red marks they were both sporting on their necks.

“Are you sure you’ll be alright?” Blake asked, scratching the back of his neck.

“Of course. I’ll contact you if I need anything” He nodded with a smile and accompanied them to the door. Then he just went back to his spot on the couch, plopped down and buried his hands in his hair.

He’d probably lose all hair by the time this whole situation was over.

“Do you feel bad about missing the action?”

Jake raised his head from his hands and glared at Aiden, but he didn’t seem deterred.

“I’m surprised he left you here to babysit me,” Aiden said, his voice deep and even and his piercing dark eyes settled solely on him. Deep and tempting and—what the hell was that!?  “Unless, of course, it means fulfilling my part of the deal”

“What the hell is your problem?” Jake sighed and turned away from the hybrid. What the hell is my problem, actually. “Did Volk even gag you?”

“He didn’t need to”

“Yeah well I want you gagged”

Aiden’s eyes flashed darker. “And here I thought you’d only like vanilla”