Chapter 8: Breakfast at the Burrow

“Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own set of laws.” –Douglas Adams

“Hermione! You made it!” Mr. Weasley exclaimed the moment he opened the door.

“I hope I’m not late,” Hermione replied, hugging Mr. Weasley. The moment she stepped through the doorway, a familiar and comforting smell drifted toward her, a smell that was almost universally associated with the Burrow, and immediately she felt at home.

“No, no, not at all,” Mrs. Weasley replied, stepping out of the kitchen and wiping her floury hands on her apron before enveloping Hermione in a warm hug. “We thought you wouldn’t be able to make it.”

“Couldn’t miss it if I tried,” Hermione replied with a smile. “Do you need any help?”

“No, dear. You go and enjoy yourself,” Mrs. Weasley replied with a kind smile. “You’ve gotten so thin! You look hungry. Here, have a muffin,” she added, shoving a large English muffin into Hermione’s hand before shooing her from her kitchen and instructing Mr. Weasley to feed the chicken.

“Thank you!” Hermione called out with a smile before heading to find the others.

As she made her way towards the living room, a shock of blonde hair raced passed her, yelling, “Hi Aunt Mione!”

“Hi Victorie!” Hermione called out, smiling at she took note of the small badge in the six year old’s hands that could only belong to Percy.

A few seconds later, Percy came running in, almost bumping into Hermione.

“Hello, Hermione,” Percy greeted, out of breath. “Have you seen Victorie? Fred and George convinced her to take my badge, you know the one that classifies me as the Und-,”

“The Undersecretary of the Minister?” Hermione offered.

“Yes,” Percy replied proudly. “Anyways, Fred and George convinced her to take my badge and give it to the gnomes. And you know how gnomes are about shiny things.”

“I think she went towards the gardens,” Hermione replied with a kind smile.

“Thank you!” Percy called out, running towards the garden.

With a chuckle, Hermione made her way to the cozy living room.

Penelope, Percy’s wife, and Angelina, Fred’s wife, were sitting by the fireplace, engrossed in a conversation about weddings. Fleur, Gabrielle, and Alicia, George’s wife, were sitting on the sofa discussing Celestina Warbeck’s new song. Charlie and Bill were debating the possible outcomes of the Quidditch World Cup, while Fred and George tried to convince them to place bets. Ginny was talking to Harry who was looking back at her with an amused expression.

Just as Hermione was about to walk into the living room, Ron walked past her, taking the muffin from her hand and taking a huge bite from it.

“’ey ‘erminee,” Ron greeted with a mouthful of muffin.

“You’re welcome,” Hermione replied sarcastically, taking a seat next to Ginny and greeting everyone else.

“awt? Mm uwngy,” Ron replied, shoving the rest of the muffin into his mouth.

“Ron, swallow then speak,” Ginny scolded, rolling her eyes.

“I’m hungry!” Ron protested.

“You’re always hungry!” Ginny and Hermione replied in unison.

Laughing, Harry asked, “So, how was your trip Hermione?”

“Urgh, don’t even mention it,” Hermione groaned.