Chapter 14: Inexplicable Answers

Hey guys!! Happy almost New Year! (3 more minutes)

This month marked the one year anniversary of "Wonderstruck." I just thought of pointing that out. Why? I have no earthly idea.

Regardless, with hopes of posting more chapters more frequently and in a timely fashion, I present to you the last chapter of Pride of a Granger and Prejudice of a Malfoy that will be posted this year.

Enjoy!!

P.S. This is my favorite chapter so far.

*******************************************

"Love is an endless mystery, because there is no reasonable cause that could explain it." ― Rabindranath Tagore

"Ew. It's you," she cried, getting away from him, yanking her arms from his grip.

"Ew? You are hurting my non-existent feelings, Granger," Draco replied pretending to be hurt.

"Although I hadn't meant to say that part out loud, I can't say I'm sorry that I did," Hermione replied albeit haughtily before turning around and walking away.

"Now that was just mean Granger. Now you are really hurting my feelings," Draco replied, trailing her. "How very Slytherin of you!"

"I was under the impression that Malfoys didn't have feelings," Hermione replied, moving through the crowd of dancers, desperately wanting to get away from the cacophony and a certain platinum blonde.

"Granted they are non-existent," Draco replied, effortlessly following her, "but that doesn't mean that you have a full right to violate them."

"Why are you following me Malfoy?" Hermione asked as she maneuvered through the crowd towards the balcony, with Draco close behind. "Unless you want a flock of canaries tearing each and every strand of your hair out, I suggest you make yourself scarce."

The balcony was at the back of the mansion and had a beautiful view of the gardens. Hermione sighed, leaning against the railing, taking a deep breath of the sweet odor of the Japanese Cherry Blossom tree that bordered the balcony, and watching the exceptionally bright stars as they twinkled against the dark sky, glad to finally be alone.

Except that she wasn't.

"But I am already scarce!" Draco exclaimed, following her to the edge of the balcony. "I'll bet you a million galleons that there isn't another member of the male species who is as ridiculously handsome as me."

"First of all, that was a terribly cheesy joke. Secondly, that's one bet that you would lose. Thirdly--,"

"You think so?" Draco countered, interrupting her. "So who do y-,"

"Most importantly," Hermione continued, ignoring Draco and restraining her intense desire to push him over the edge, "why are you still following me? What do you want Malfoy?"

"He's not here."

"Excuse me?" Hermione asked, turning to face him, confused by the sudden change in subject.

"The...the person you are looking for. He's not here," Draco replied, sounding beyond bored.

After blushing momentarily for having what she had though was her secret found out, Hermione found anger coming back to her in waves.

"I suppose you had something to do with that?" she asked narrowing her eyes.

"No," Draco replied. "It appears that his courage failed him."

"Sure," Hermione snorted sarcastically.

"Unfortunately you didn't quite manage to pass on your Gryffindor qualities on to him."

"This still doesn't explain why you are following me."

"Since your date failed to show up, and because I am feeling extremely generous today, I'll give up my precious time and dance with you," Draco explained.

"What could possibly possess you to think, even for one moment, that I would want to dance with you?" Hermione asked after getting over the initial shock that accompanied this situation.

"Mostly due to the fact that you have deliberately evaded my question supplemented by the fact that I always get my way," Draco replied with a smirk.

"Well, my answer is no," Hermione replied defiantly.

"Did I mention that I always get my way?" Draco asked with a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"I think I already mentioned that my answer is no," Hermione replied, turning around to face the breathtaking garden.

"Well, it just so happens that I refuse to take no for an answer," Draco replied.

Before Hermione could retort, she felt a sudden jerk on her arms and before she could blink she felt herself spin around and found herself inches away from a pair of stormy grey eyes.

"May I have the next dance, Ms. Granger?" Draco asked.

For the longest time, Hermione will wonder what made her say what she did. Perhaps it was just the breathtaking scenery or the twinkling stars or maybe the sweet scent of the Japanese cherry blossom tree that swayed in the gentle breeze or maybe something else entirely, but against all logic, Hermione found herself saying, "Yes, you may."

By the time she blinked once and opened her eyes, she found herself alone on the balcony, wondering what had just happened. She might have thought that the whole event was a figment of her imagination if it was not for the hint of the odor of spearmint that lingered in the air.

******************************************

I hope you guys liked this chapter. It was very fun to write and is my favorite so far.

More importantly, I hope you all are enjoying this book and that I am not disappointing any of you.

If you have any question, concerns, or comments, leave me a message because I love hearing from all of you lovely people.

Thus I end this year of psuedo-apocalypse with hopes of improving my writing and updating in a timely fashion :)

Happy almost New Years!!!

Amazingness xx