Chapter 4: The Harvey's Dilemma

"Move aside, bitch." I turn around and see Aubrey standing behind me with her hands on her hips. I quickly step to the side to allow her to pass, and she smirks before continuing her walk to the cafeteria. I roll my eyes, before opening my locker wider and stuffing my binder in from the previous class. I pull out my sweater and wallet before closing the locker and making sure it's locked.

I walk out of the school, and unlock my truck. I throw my bag into the backseat and start the engine, pulling out of the parking lot. I drive to the nearest Harvey's and go inside to order my food. After it's ready, I go back outside to my truck and open the bag in the drivers seat. I bite into my poutine and take a sip of iced tea.

After I finish eating, I get out to throw away my food. When I return, I see Kennedy crouching on the passenger side of the car.

"Um.. hi?" I say to her. She jumps before raising a finger to her lips. She glances around quickly before turning back to me.

"I need your help." She says quickly. "I got into a fight with Aubrey and she was my ride, and she kicked me out of her car across the street from here. I would really appreciate a ride back to school."

"Why are you hiding?" I ask.

"If someone catches me at a Harvey's, my reputation will be ruined. I'm already in enough trouble with the girls, if rumour gets around that I was at a fast food joint, I would never be allowed back with them. They would make me a laughing stock." A group of teenagers from our school suddenly emerges from the restaurant, and Kennedy ducks her head quickly.

"Alright, hop in." She smiles gratefully before pulling open the door and putting on a pair of sunglasses. I raise an eyebrow in amusement before getting into the drivers seat, pulling out of the parking lot. I turn on the radio to a station that plays EDM music. Kennedy wrinkles her nose in distaste.

"You don't like it?"

"Not really. Do you mind..." She trails off, pointing her phone towards the radio.

"Go ahead." She hooks her phone up to the car speakers, selecting a song from the long list of them. Shawn Mendes begins playing a moment later, very loudly.

"You call this music?" I question. "It's so... mainstream."

"This is the best song ever released to the public! How could you not like it?"

"Quite easily, I'm doing it right now." I smile.

We drive into the schools parking lot, and Kennedy ducks when we drive past Aubrey's car. All of her friends are crowded around it, speaking hurriedly about something seemingly important. I park the chevy and Kennedy quickly jumps out, slinging her bag over her shoulder.

"Thank you." She says quickly before walking quickly to her group of friends, presumably to apologize for whatever had caused the argument.

"No problem." I mutter. I throw my bag over my shoulder and wander into the school. J stands at my locker, focusing on his phone. When he sees me coming, he smiles at me and stuffs his phone into his pocket.

"Hey, I was looking for you during lunch." He says.

"Yeah, I figured it wasn't just a random locker you chose to stand in front of. You have a habbit of popping up when I'm about to do something of importance."

"And what is the important matter to which you are about to attend to that prevents you from talking to me?"

"Class." I sigh. He laughs before moving away from my locker in order for me to get my texbook out of it.

"How important. I'm sure you're looking forward to it."

"Oh yeah, for sure." I close the locker and turn around, beginning the treacherous walk to class. J matches my pace and makes a face. When we arrive outside my classroom, he winks before walking away.

I take my seat at my desk about two minutes before the bell is set to go off to signal the beginning of class. I pull a book out of my bag- the perks of being a wallflower- and continue reading the current part, because the book is composed of multiple letters, split into four parts. The teacher enters a minute later, telling us to prepare our materials for class. I sigh and put my book away before taking out my textbook.

*****

"Hey, mom." I greet as I enter the house.

"Hello sweetie, how was school?" She asks.

"It was good. I went out for lunch."

"Did anyone go with you?"

"No, you know I prefer being alone."

"I know, but you should still have some social interaction, it's bad for you to always be alone. High school should be the best four years of your life, and yet you've gone through three of them without a friend."

"I do it by choice. It's better that way. The people at school don't like me, something bad could happen."

"You need to take a risk. You'll be miserable if you never take a chance and try to make a friend."

"Well, it'll be up to me to deal with when the problem arises. Can I get you something to drink?" I attempt to change the topic.

"Just some water." She says before turning the T.V back on.

I head into the kitchen to pour a glass of water before returning to the living room and placing the cup on the table beside my mothers bed. Her eyes are closed, she had fallen asleep in the moments I was away.

"Good night mom." I whisper before turning and going upstairs to finish my homework.

*****

"Ivory, someone's at the door! Can you please answer it?" Shouts my mom, waking me from my slumber.

"Be right down!" I shout back, quickly climbing out of bed to answer the door. I run down the stairs and pull open the door.

"Hey." I say to someone's back. He was staring at the sculpture on the porch, and hadn't heard me open the door.

"Hey." I say louder, notifying him of my presence. He spins around, and I realize who it is.

"Hello there Ivory, it's been awhile."

"It sure has." I suddenly become aware of the fact that I hadn't even glanced in a mirror before opening the door, and that I probably looked terrible.

It doesn't matter what he thinks of you, I remind myself. He's not worth your time.