Chapter 24: Preparations

I couldn't believe that Kennedy had the audacity to ask me to meet her to work on our project, forcing me to leave my coffee sitting on the table at the shop, just so that she could try to talk about what had happened.  She didn't consider that I might be doing something, she just texted me, and I made the stupid decision to meet her.  I had to get out of that habit.  She doesn't get the right to control everything, especially not now. 

"Ivory, I'm so, so sorry.  I had no idea."

"Let's just get on with the project." I say.

"What?  You just told me that your mom died and now all you want to do is work?"

"That's what I just said."

"You can't just drop that kind of bomb out of nowhere and expect me not to talk to you about it."

"I'm sorry, but since when did you get the right to tell me what to do?  You don't deserve to talk about my mother.  We can either work on the project or I can leave.  I was busy before you called me, you know."

Kennedy sighs.  "Fine."

"Excellent.  Now which topic would you prefer, the negative effects of prejudice or the conflicts of love?"

"I was thinking that the negative effects of prejudice would be easier, since there's a lot more material on it."

"The goal isn't to have an easy project, it's to have a good and interesting project.  If there's more material about negativity in prejudice than that means the majority of the class will be doing it, along with most of his previous students.  I'd say we've each learned enough from our personal experiences about the conflicts of love, wouldn't you?  There's not much about that on the internet, so that's the one we'll do."

"Uh, okay, if you want."

"Next we have to figure out how we're going to present it.  Are we going to have a powerpoint?  A game?  Write information on a piece of cardboard?"

"The cardboard wouldn't get us an A."

"Great.  So you are paying attention.  Good to know you aren't drunk today.  So which presentation method would you prefer?"

"Um, we could do-"

"A powerpoint it is!"

"Listen Ivory, I know you're pissed at me, but that doesn't mean you get full control of the project.  It's my grade too, and I refuse for you to do all the work!  I deserve a say in that at least."

"Debatable." I mutter.

"No, not debatable!  This argument is between us, and our project doesn't have to suffer from it.  If we fail, then we'll fail, but for the love of all that is good in this world I want to be able to make decisions too!"

"You sound like you're arguing a child and we're divorcing.  Fine, whatever.  Which method of presentation would you prefer, your highness?"

"Powerpoint."

"Are you kidding me?  We just had a long-ass debate about why you should be able to make decisions and you literally didn't even change what I said?"

"Nope."

"Ugh.  Fine, what's next?"

We carried on like that for an hour before Kennedy realized she had to leave for dinner with her mom.  She cares so much about the stupidest things.  Honestly, it's a project, not a potential cure for cancer.  Although that would be nice.  She's a terrible person, but I really hope that she realizes how important dinner with her mom is. 

J- Can I come over?

I- I'm not at home, but I'll meet you at the park downtown if you want.

J- I'll be there in 10.

I get to the park in 7 minutes, and sit at a bench by the swings.  J comes walking towards me a couple of minutes later with two cups of coffee in his hands.

"Bless your soul, I'm so caffeine deprived." I say when he hands me one. 

"What do you want to do?"

"I dunno.  Let's just walk around for a bit."

"Okay," he answers. "Also, hey." 

"Hey yourself." He kisses my cheek quickly.

"I've been bored all day."

"I haven't, I just haven't enjoyed my day."

"How come?"

"Kennedy told me to meet her in the library to work on our project and shit went down."

"How about we make a bet."

"A bet?"

"Yeah, a bet.  If I can distract you and make you forget about Kennedy for the rest of the time we hang out today, I get a favour to cash in, with boundaries of course, for whenever I feel like.  And if you remember her, then you get a favour, with boundaries, for whatever you feel like.  Deal?"

"Deal."

He takes my hand and we go for a walk through the trees.  A couple of minutes later we're standing on a grassy ledge looking over at the lake.  I sit down on a tree trunk that probably got knocked over by a recent storm and watch birds flying above us.  My mind considers the fact that mom might be up there, flying with them, watching me.

J lays down with his head on my lap and stares upwards as well.  He twirls a strand of my hair around his finger absentmindedly and waits a couple of moments before proclaiming that the birds aren't in a V-formation.

"I have a question for you."

"Shoot." He replies.

"Are you free tomorrow?"

"Yeah, why?"

"I was wondering... I was wondering if you'd be willing to come with me to my mom's funeral.  I know you've never met her and you'd probably be uncomfortable-"

"Of course I'll come.  I was going to come even if you hadn't asked me to.  You'd have to be the strongest person in the world if you didn't need a shoulder to cry on, and even if you want to think you're strong enough, you aren't."

"Thanks.  I really appreciate it, you coming I mean.  I just- I don't know what I'm supposed to do, I've never had to deal with anything like this.  Am I meant to give a eulogy?  What should I say?  I can't pre-write anything, I'd never be able to read it or I'd tear it up out of nervousness."

"I think you should just say the first thoughts that pop into your head.  Those are usually the most authentic ones.  I also think you should stay over at my place tonight so that you can calm down a little bit."

"I'm scared though.  I don't technically have a guardian so I don't know if they're going to sell the house or if I can fly under the radar or if I'll have to go live with some faraway uncle or something."

"Then I'll come stay with you at your house.  That way you can get the most out of it for as long as you can."

"Your mom won't mind?"

"She doesn't get a choice, she has no idea where you live so she can't come hunt me down if she doesn't approve."

"Okay."

We sit in silence for a few moments, watching the autumn waves crashing over the rocks.

"Let's go somewhere.  I've got to keep you preoccupied."

"I think I might just go home, I've been out for a while and it's getting late.  I have to get everything ready for tomorrow.  Just come over with your stuff when you're ready."

"Okay." He stands up and kisses me on the forehead.  "I'll be there as soon as I can."

"I'll see you in a little bit." I say before finding my way back through the forest, weaving my way through the streets until I get home, trying to figure out a way to set everything up for when everyone comes over the next day.