Chapter 18: Distractions

"I can't believe she would do something like this!" The truth is that after witnessing Kennedy at that party, even I'm not sure what she would and wouldn't do. Someone could tell me she has plans to go skydiving tomorrow and I wouldn't doubt it.

"Why would she have come in the first place? The way you made her sound, she would never do anything like this by her own accord, especially if it's what Aubrey wants her to do."

J was leaning against the wall of the neighbour's house, watching me pace. I wish I could tell him it's fine, that I was expecting it, and that I wasn't even her friend in the first place, I was just helping her with some schoolwork. Unfortunately, if I were to do that, everything coming out of my mouth would be a lie.

"Honestly, I can't answer that. She didn't seem particularly upset last time I spoke with her, and we didn't get into a fight, so this isn't a matter of getting revenge. I'm out of ideas."

"Are you alright? Like about this?" J asks.

"I'll be fine."

"Are you sure? I know that if one of my friends pulled something like this, I would be pissed, and I would want to get away from the scene as fast as possible."

"Well I mean, I am pissed. And I do want to get away. But eventually I'll be fine, I always am."

He looks at me for a moment before grabbing my hand and tugging me to the car.

"Come on, we're going to have a night of fun for ourselves. Screw jackass friends, screw work, screw everything. Leave all negativity at the car door and hop in, and brace yourself for a night of many distractions."

*****

"Moonshine Café?" I ask.

"Yeah. I always come here when I can't sleep, so I figured it would be a good place to start the night," he explains. "Are you hungry?"

"I'm always hungry, get real. Has anyone ever been asked that question and then replied with no?"

"Shockingly, yes. But that's another story for another day. For now, we eat!" He proclaims, pulling me into the café.

I choose a table in the middle of the room, the perfect spot to watch everyone coming into the café.

"I like to people-watch. It's a good pastime." I explain.

"Really?"

"Well do I seem like the type of person to interact with everyone I meet? There are two types of people, and I tend to fall within the introverted side of the spectrum."

"Hey dears! How're y'all doing tonight?"

"Eh, we'll be okay. How about you?" J replies to the waitress.

"Aw, I'm better than a pig in mud, thanks for askin'. Now what can I get for you and this lovely looking darling sitting across from you?"

"Well, I'll have a burger with fries and a vanilla milkshake. Ivory?"

"Uh, waffles and a dark chocolate plum milkshake, thanks."

"I'll be back in two ticks and a shake!" She exclaims before disappearing behind a set of swinging doors.

"She's really energetic, isn't she?" J laughs.

"Just a smidge." I tease.

"Well that's Eden, she's here every night. I have no idea when she sleeps, and she always tries to get to know her customers, so I'd watch out, my little introvert." He replies.

"Okay, so back to people-watching. You learn how to read people's behaviour very quickly by doing it, be able to pick up on the signs easily."

"Is that so?"