Chapter 26: The Project Part 1

I am so done with Kennedy.

We haven't worked on our project since the last time.  I think she's upset about what happened, maybe she's finally realizing how lonely she is without any friends.  I spoke to Patrick the other day and it doesn't sound like he's been talking to her either.  I don't feel bad though, she deserves everything that happens to her.

Still, we need to get a good mark on this assignment.  At this point I'll have to talk to her, no matter how much I want to avoid her.  Stupid English class, stupid Mr. Danner.  Stupid everyone who forces me to interact with people I don't want to talk to.  I wish I had never picked Kennedy up that day at Harvey's.  My life would have been so much better.

"Ivory, can I please speak with you for a moment?"

"Sure Miss Rzazewski," I go to stand beside her at the back of the class. "What's up?"

"Well I heard some news in the staff room earlier, and I know I'm not supposed to follow students rumours, and I'm definitely not supposed to see if they're true or not, but I figured that with this particular rumour I should get to the bottom of it, it's slightly concerning."

"What is it?"

"Well... it's been circulating around the school that there was a... tragedy in your family."

"About... my mom?" I whisper.

"Exactly.  Is it true?" I nod. "I just want you to know that if at any point you need help, be it with your mental health or with keeping up with your studies, you can let me know and we can talk it out and give suggestions.  If you need accommodations for any assignments just let me know and I'm sure we can work something out."

"Okay, thank you."

"Anytime dear.  Let me know if there's anything I can do."

"I will."

"Okay.  Let's get you back to work now."

I take my seat at my desk again and start writing.  It doesn't take long for my mind to drift again, back to a conversation I had with Ricky a few days before.

"What are we gonna do about her?"  I ask.  I want to figure out if I'm the only one feeling angry with her.

"I have no idea.  I want to forgive her but I'm not sure if I'd be able to trust her again.  At this point I'm not even sure that I believe her story.  I'm just... I'm hurt, you know?"

"Yeah, I understand.  I don't think I want to forgive her.  She hasn't done anything aside from apologize to earn my forgiveness.  She hasn't fixed her mistakes, she hasn't shown me that she knows what she did wrong and completely regrets it."

"I explained why I was upset with her yesterday, but she didn't seem very sorry.  More as though she just wants to put the whole thing behind her."

"I mean, she probably does."

I snap out of the past when the bell rings, signalling the end of the period.  I walk out of the classroom, already dreading my impending doom- aka English with Kennedy.

The journey is treacherous, each step making me feel sicker and sicker.  Okay, maybe a bit of an exaggeration, so sue me.  It wouldn't bother me at this point.

"Hey Ivory."

"Hello, Kennedy."

"Are you ready for our presentation?"

"Obviously.  I wouldn't have come if I hadn't finished it."

"Great, I finished my part too."

"Can I see it? Just to make sure it's not drunken rambling."

"It isn't drunken rambling, trust me."

"Well can I see it to make sure?"

"I'd rather you didn't, can't you trust me with this one thing?"

"I can't trust you with anything anymore.  Unless I see your part of the project I'll just assume you did nothing and that you're going to fail, because I'm not taking responsibility for your petty mistakes."

"It's not a mistake, I honestly did it.  I want it to be a surprise."

"If you aren't finished you can march your ass over to the teacher and let him know that it's your fault.  I refuse to fail this class because of you."

"You won't.  I don't see why you can't trust me, I know I made a mistake, and I've apologized so much. Can't you see how sorry I am?"

"I think that you haven't done anything aside from apologize to prove that you made a mistake. So you're sorry- who cares? I can't forgive you unless I have proof that you completely and 100 percent regret what you did."

"Fine," said Kennedy. "You'll get your proof. Just you wait, Ivory." She said before walking back to her desk and taking her seat.

Quite contentedly, she filed away at her nails to get them to the perfect shape. She seemed confident in her plan, whatever it was.

Still, I can't believe that she didn't finish her part of the project, she knows how much it's worth! We can't fail, or we risk failing the entire course.

I sit through 7 presentations, nervously tapping my pencil against my desk before our names were called. 

Hesitant, I make my way to the front of the class, Kennedy strutting confidently beside me.  I place a copy of the presentation on the teachers desk, waiting for him to tell us that we can begin speaking.

He scribbles down a couple of things on the rubric before he nods at me to begin.

"When I started this presentation, I was lost. I had just had one of the closest people to me torn from my grasp, left alone to make my way in the world.
"I began by searching myself for the answer to this extremely complex question. What is love? I searched up numerous definitions, each one slightly different from the rest, but they each had the same general idea.
"Love is a warm personal attachment or deep connection, using the parent-child bond as a main example. My definition is slightly different however. It is my personal belief that love is something that makes you feel special, confident. It allows you to take control of yourself while at the same time causing you to feel like you're drowning in affection from the other person involved.
Love is making sure that they are always happy. It's making someone a warm cup of coffee on a cold day, when they don't feel that great. It's making soup so they can get better quickly, going out of your way to make their day that much brighter.
"The best thing about love is that, in my opinion, it can be re-described, classified differently by every person who attempts to make a complete definition. Nothing about love is set in stone. It can be forgiven, forgotten, hated, adored, and it can be mean. Love can be anything it wishes to be, simply because it is a fluctuating emotion, it constantly changes.
"Ladies and gentlemen, Kennedy now has something she'd like to share with everyone, so if you could please give your undivided attention to her, I will be much obliged. Thank you all."

The words leave my mouth and immediately everyone's eyes are on Kennedy. She looks worried, as though she only now realizes how badly she's messed up.

Sucks to be her.