Chapter 10: Honesty Hour

The first week back at school for me after the hospital was a blur. I've had to rush around town to do things I didn't know existed since Helen hasn't been around as often as she used to be, and she was the one who used to take control of these tasks. She drops in sometimes, but she has another patient now in replacement of my mom, so she spends most of her time at their house. To say the least, I was exhausted.

"Hey, stranger, haven't seen you in a while." teases a voice from my side. I look over and see J standing beside me.

"Hey, J. What's up?" I ask.

"Not much. Where have you been the last few weeks?"

"Um, I was travelling." I lie.

"No you weren't, I saw you at the Starbucks down the street." Damn it.

"Yes! I was, but then I went to Spain for a couple of weeks."

"You speak Spanish?"

"Oh, woops. did I say Spain? I meant to say France. Definitely." I grimace.

"Sure you did. Just know that I will respect your privacy until you decide to share whatever it was you've been doing."

"There's nothing to hide, I actually was in France."

"Babe, the lying has to stop. Dishonesty can be catastrophic in relationships."

"Okay, whatever. I have to go to class, see you later."

"Wait! I was wondering if you wanted to hang out on Halloween. My mom just finished redecorating the basement so it's pretty awesome."

"J... I'm sorry, but I can't. I have plans with Kennedy for Halloween."

"Oh." He mutters.

"Maybe another time, though, alright? It really does sound like fun." I smile. "I actually really have to go now though or I'm going to be late."

A smirk makes it's way to his face. "Alright, see you later babe."

I walk to the classroom but pause outside. "And by the way, my name isn't 'babe', it's Ivory."

"That may be so, but I prefer babe. More... entertaining."

"Bye!" I call as I walk into the class, earning a couple of odd looks from the other people who get to class before the bell.

*****

"Hey girl, hey!" Shouts Kennedy from across the hallway.

"Shut up, there are other people who go to school here!" I laugh.

"Who cares, let them think what they want to think." She smiles.

"They're going to think we're crazy."

"They already do, Ivory, I'd be amazed if they didn't."

"Shhh, let me pretend I have an ounce of sanity in my reputation at this school."

"What reputation?" She jokes.

We walk to the cafeteria in a fit of laughter, and take seats at our table with our purchased lunches.

"Are you doing anything for Halloween?" I ask.

"Hmm... not that I can remember, why?"

"Want to hang out? We can have a girl's night. You know, gossip and do the stuff that I would never do on my own. It'd be fun."

"Sounds cool! I'll ask my parents tonight if I can come over or not."

"Awesome."

"So, why have you been all cheery today? I mean it's great and all, but normally you're all like 'ew school', and 'I hate people', or 'get away you illogical germ sacks'."

"I'm not sure. Just in a positive mood, I guess. I got a job at the bookstore downtown. I love it, it's so calm, and everyone that comes inside enjoys literature."

"That's awesome!" Kennedy smiles.

"How about you? Have you gotten a job yet?"

"No. I haven't got enough time in the day for a job."

"Oh yeah, that's right. You 'prioritize'."

"I do! Starbucks and Pretty Little Liars are important things! Without my morning, lunch, and after-school coffee's, I wouldn't make it through the day! And don't even get me started on Pretty Little Liars right now. I don't even know what's going on anymore! Ugh." Kennedy sighs.

"Yup, suuurreee. Have you figured out who 'A' is yet?"

"Well, I have a couple of theories, but none of them are concrete yet. Supposedly we're going to get a major spoiler tonight. Although that's probably a lie since they've been claiming we're going to find out who 'A' is for about a year now. It's a real struggle."

"Oh yeah, it sounds heartbreaking. However will you cope." I say dryly.

I hear the bell ring and stand up to go to my locker.

"Where are you going?"

"I think I'm going to go home. I'm not feeling too amazing."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine. I just need to lay down for a little bit."

"Oh... alright. Maybe I can stop by later and check in on you." She suggests.

"I think I'll be fine. It's not like I'm dying or anything."

"Not yet anyways. How do I know you'll still be alive when I get there? You could bang your head on the coffee table or choke on a kumquat."

"Why a kumquat?"

"Why not a kumquat? I don't know, I like kumquats. It's my favourite fruit."

"You want me to die by choking on a kumquat? Nice to know you think so highly of me."

"It's an honour to be killed by a kumquat, what are you talking about. Stop whining about your inevitable kumquat death. Accept it and move on."

"Wow, Kennedy. Fine, I'll be going now. If I choke on a kumquat you'll be able to say I told you so. Are you happy with that?"

"Extremely. I'll be over at seven-ish."

"No, you don't have to."

"I'll bring food."

"Well I mean if you really want to come over I probably won't stop you. At least not if you have food. Otherwise stay away from my house."

She laughs. "I'll see you at seven, Ivory, bye."

*****

"Hey mom, how are you doing?" I peer in through the door.

"Ivory! I'm good, how are you? Why aren't you at school?"

"I'm good too. Something happened across the street from the school so they let us out early."

"Oh. Is everyone alright? What happened?"

"Well everyone's fine, but they didn't really give us any details because they didn't want to freak us out too badly so I'm not sure what happened."

"Maybe I should call the school and find out..."

"No mom, you don't have to do that. I'm sure they'll tell us more details about it tomorrow."

"Okay, keep me posted. Oh, Ivory, can you be a dear and get me some water?"

"Sure mom. I'll be right back."

I ease open the door and close it behind me, then walk towards the vending machine when a voice stops me.

"I knew you weren't really sick."

I turn around and come face to face with Kennedy.

"What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I followed you. Do you really think I'm stupid enough to buy that sickness stuff? I wasn't born yesterday. Now are you going to tell me why you're always here?"

"I'm not always here."

"I've seen you here twice. Stop lying to me and just be honest. You'll be much happier if you're just honest with me. I'm not going to judge you."

So I told her everything.