Chapter 28: Forgiveness

I couldn't believe what Kennedy did for me. The video stayed in my mind for hours after she had played it for the class. It seemed like she put a lot of work into it and I knew she wanted me to understand her genuity.

"Have you forgiven her?" J asked when we hung out after school that day.

"I think so. We have a lot to do before we can be at the level we were at before but... yeah, I forgive her."

A couple of days later, I still haven't thought of a proper way to start talking to her again. We sit together in class again, and we exchange a few words, but it's not the same.

Kennedy had finally gotten a car. It's magnificent- white, state of the art, stereotypical 'cool girl' car. Too bad she wasn't the cool girl anymore.

Classes passed by as slowly as they always do. Sometimes I wish I could just leave, drop out of high school, and do something different. Something not expected. But I want to make my mom proud, wherever she is, and I know that dropping out of high school to pursue a future I haven't planned wouldn't make her proud, it would make her think I'm more stupid than she assumed.

Maybe I can convince Kennedy to watch Doctor Who with me. That would be a great way to bond. Or I could have her watch Young Justice. Nevermind, I'll just have her over and we can marathon every amazing show under the sun. First though, I need to talk to her again.

The problem is that we haven't spoken in so long, so much has changed. It's going to be very difficult. Perhaps I'm overthinking things. Why would it be such a big deal to talk again? She worked very hard to gain my forgiveness, why would she make things awkward?

I'm the only thing keeping us apart. This time it's my fault, not Kennedy's.

"Hola." Says Kennedy as she takes her seat next to me in English.

"Hey, what's up?" I reply.

"Not much, but Brignette just loaded me with bio homework."

"Is her class hard? I have it next semester."

"She's decent, the class isn't that bad as long as you do the homework."

"Of course."

We fall into silence. Kennedy flips through her binder, trying to figure out the answer to a homework question that makes no sense with the lesson. I sit mostly still, my fingers tapping the desk in an attempt to lesson the awkward tension.

"So... how are you doing in this class? Are you ready for culminating?" Kennedy asks.

"Sort of, I mean I'm excited for the written part, but the debate part sounds absolutely dreadful. I might just pretend to be sick that day."

"Ivory, it's worth fifteen percent of your mark! You can't just 'be sick' that day."

"Sure I can, why wouldn't I be able to do that?"

"Because you need to do well now or Universities will never pay attention to you."

"We have a year and a half. I'm sure I'll survive without doing a stupid debate."

"Honestly, what's so bad about debating?" She asks.

I pause for a moment. "Hasn't there already been enough arguing this year? Why do a debate on top of that? It's the stupidest thing."

"I guess you're right. You still have to do it though."

"Of course I do." I roll my eyes.

"Good afternoon class! Today we will be doing... absolutely nothing. Enjoy the free period."

"Well okay then." I mutter as a group of nerds high five and pull out their functions textbooks.

"They want to get a head start on the homework for next week, I bet. There's no way they got that excited over tonight's homework."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that. I heard the graphing reciprocal functions is a blast."

"Yeah, like a blast from Sleepy-Hollow. I want to fall asleep just thinking about it. This math stuff tires me out."

"Me too. It's terrible stuff to deal with."

I glance at the clock. "I bet if we left he wouldn't notice."

"Probably not. He seems pretty focused on his magazine. Oh my god, did you read the headline? 'How to get rid of your dad-bod before summer."

"I'm dead. That magazine header has slain me. This must mean that I can't do my debate culminating. How terrible, however will I cope."

"I have no idea, sir cries-a-lot. You might have to make a deal with a demon and sell your soul. Not that you have one to sell anyways."

"Sounds appealing. I think I'll look into that. Maybe we could go all ghostbusters on their asses and then I'd be free forever."

"I like that idea even more."

"Kennedy, I have a question for you."

"What is it?" She asks.

"What's your favourite starter pokemon?"

"Uhhh, I never really played pokemon. Not really much of a fan."

"You never got into pokemon?!" I gasp.

"Nope."

"Well then, that's what we're doing this weekend. You're coming over, we're going to watch numerous t.v shows in the background and we'll be playing pokemon at the same time. It's non negotiable.

"I'll be there. What time? And would you prefer for me to be sober or completely pissed?"

"If you could be sober that would be great. I would love to be able to have a regular conversation with you without worrying about drunken passing out."

"Your wish is my command." She half-bows.

*****

"I'm here, and I brought pizza!" Announces Kennedy as she walks through the door. Immediately I stand up and make my way to grab a plate.

"Gracias."

"I brought Hawaiian and cheese, so you have a couple of options, or you can mix and match."

"What do you want to watch?" I ask.

"You decide."

"I can't decide. Decisions evade me."

"Oh right. Let's watch Sherlock. I haven't seen an episode in so long."

"The BBC one, right?"

"Aye, 'tis the one, lassie." She laughs.

"I just want to say thank you Kennedy."

"Oh, the pizza was no problem, don't worry."

"Not for the pizza, but thanks for that too," I smile. "I mean thanks for everything. A lot of shit has happened in the last few weeks, but I'm glad we're beyond that now."

"It's totally cool."

"No, it isn't. I was a bitch and wouldn't let you explain yourself. And I'm not saying you were innocent, you were a bitch too. There's no reason to sugarcoat it. We both made extremely bad choices that we should have avoided. There are so many other things we have to worry about during high school, each other should not need to be included in that. I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions when you didn't even know what was happening. I was keeping secrets from you too and you never once got frustrated. And the one time you weren't there for me just happened to be my worst day. I just want you to understand how grateful I am to have you as a friend."

"Honestly we don't deserve each other Ivory." She laughs.

"We really don't." I reply.