What Momma Don't Know (Chapter 2)

Chapter 2

September 17th, Ten years earlier

"Nicole, why did you come home so late last night?"

"I was at the library, momma. Do you need some water or something?"

"No, i'll be fine. When's your sister coming home?"

"I don't know momma, you and i both know that she don't consider this home."

"Yeah. Honey, do i have any more beers in the fridge?"

"No momma, you ran out."

"Go get your sister's boyfriend to get some for me."

"Okay momma, i'll be home in a while okay?" 

"Okay Nicole. Okay." I looked over at my momma one last time before i left the apartment. I my way out of the apartment building, and out onto the street. Ryan's house was only a couple blocks over, it never takes me long to walk there. I looked around at the unfimiliar faces, and thought for a moment that one of them look exactly like Jessica. Her hair fell just like hers, her eyes were just as empty, and her face was painted in ake-up. Just like Jessica's always was. When i couldnt look directly at her anymore i looked back, but there was no woman in sight. Just a whole bunch of men walking around, but i knew that woman was there. I know she walked by because for a split second we made eye-contact. She frowned at me, she looked hurt, and a bit scared. If it wouldn't been i was crazy, i would have thought that that was Jessica herself.

When i made it to Ryan's i was relieved to see that his car was in the driveway. I knocked on the door and waited a good while till he opened the door. He looked at me and frowned. He looked mused and tired.

"Your momma needs more liqour?"

"Yeah, if you don't mind."

"Okay, come in, get a pop, i need to get dressed."

"Okay, i'll wait in your room."

"Alright, i'll just be thirty minute's i need to shower." I went into his room and was surprised to see that he'd left Jessica's stuff be. He'd ripped up their pictures together, and he changed his screensaver on his computer. He was coping but at the same time he seemed stuck on Jessica. I felt a twinge of pity for him, but he didn't need her.