File 15: Hunting for Hunters

[>--------------------------------------<]

File 15: Hunting for Hunters

Location: Archuleta Mesa, Dulce, New Mexico

[>--------------------------------------<]

Doctor Emmett grinned the grin of an extortionist and smiled at the leverage he had with my dad. But he let this information slide freely as he was personally glad that dad was enjoying the use of one of their products of the genetic labs.

He looked to the two of us and guaged the differences in our exo suits and designs.

Mine was customised for speed and protection as he could tell from telltale patterns in the skin that his expert eye could spot.

As for my dad's exo, the Doc reckoned it was for function and armour than for anything else.

Both suits could be swapped and fitted easily because dad and I had the same build.

After that necessary brief chit chat, Dr. Emmett told us that there were two individuals, leading a group of mercenaries, that approached him earlier. They wanted a large quantity order of the Decacarpa skins for their own projects. Naturally they had to be covertly investigated before they were provided with the product.

Dr. Emmett stated that this facility is neutral when it comes to supplying who and why, so they investigated but said nothing against it.

The reliability for people to keep secrets from opposing parties, however... was not bound by a code or anything like that.

Dr. Emmett informed us of the plans of this anonymous group that was a splinter offshoot of the kill squads that came from the other side of Los Alamos, New Mexico.

Apparently, having being excommunicated from the main affiliates and having cut ties to everyone they eventually resorted to work as resource extricators, travelling to hostile places in order to acquire goods of high value and high tail it out of there. This was good business for them... until they picked up a job involving shooting down and capturing a rarely seen alien craft with aliens and abducted humans still living inside it.

Apart from saving people inside, almost all of the parts of the ship were high value and... all were heavy. That's part of the reason they needed the Decacarpa skins to fight their way through the various defenses, in our case, exos of their own.

You can't shoot back at aliens while driving a forklift... it's just not that easy to safely run away while sitting on an unarmoured petrol-driven vehicle in the middle of a gunfight where the enemy aliens regenerate limbs faster than you can shoot 'em off.

So they needed armored exos with brute strength too.

So, they ordered a SentiScreener; or what we refer to as a Manned Reconnaissance Vehicle with respect to what was left of the man inside; to scope us out, monitor our suit's development, and subliminally added upgrades that led to use of Decacarpa skin, and even provided a location for them to lock onto for extraction when things were ready.

Dr Emmett related how both events we were involved in when in Afghanistan; the clone weapon test, and the hostile plant takeover;  were a double ruse to view the performance and skillful use of new learned abilities shown during combat.

Oh, Dr. Emmett told us about the aliens too. He did some digging and his facial expression changed when he began to talk about them. Apparently this species of aliens call themselves The Caretakers. They are multi-limbed multi-tasking monsters. Ok, monster is one side of the coin. These aliens have a reputation for traveling to planets and helping them, or so goes the lore that was known about them.