Chapter 14 - The failed experiment

Sayumyi ironed the cloths, murmuring a song as she did, because she felt so light hearted and happy. It feels like I put down the weight of the skies to have Tehan know who I really am. And to know that he accepts me no matter what and still wants to be with me… oh, I am so delighted that I can dance!

She nearly dropped the iron on her hand when she heard the front door opening with a loud bang. Her mother came into the room in the next second looking like she was caught in a hail storm. “We have to leave… right now!”

Sayumyi blinked. “Alright. I’ll pack some cloths.”

“There’s no time for that!” Harshani said impatiently.

“Eh, but it won’t take more than five minutes, amma-” Sayumyi started to point out, but Harshani shook her head grimly.

“We have to run off at this very moment. I am going wolf,” she placed a hand on Sayumyi’s shoulder and looked into her eyes. “Duwa, you remember my advice, don’t you?”

“Yes. Never turn rabbit no matter how scared I am. Act like I am human,” Sayumyi chanted. “But hopefully we won’t get caught? We’ll escape like all the previous times, won’t we?”

Harshani gave a slightly desperate, but a determined look before she went wolf. Sayumyi gathered her mother’s cloths and mounted her. They were running off in flying speed no sooner than she wrapped her hands around her mother’s neck. Everything around them was blurred to Sayumyi at the speed in which her mother ran. I was sure we’ll be safe. Amma knows how to evade the pack security. No one can outsmart her. We’ll just have to think of a way to find some cloths and lodgings once we are out of danger.

“Oh curse the day, is seems like they know where exactly we are and where exactly we are going to do!” Harshani’s hiss made Sayumyi’s confidence shatter.

“What’s our status, amma? Are they surrounding us?” her voice was unbelieving.

“I am afraid, yes. They’re the pack warriors. I can’t outrun them now that they are in our track. Duwa, maybe we should separate… you can escape while I cause a diversion.”

“No amma! I am not leaving you!” Sayumyi protested. “I will never leave you in danger! Don’t even suggest that!”

“I’ve done all I can to keep you safe! I have sacrificed all my life to protect you and you can’t let it all be in vain because of your stubbornness!” Harshani said angrily.

Before Sayumyi could answer something bumped into them. Sayumyi flew off her mother at the impact of it and hit the dirt face first. When she raised her head she saw a giant black furred beast snarling at her mother.

Her mother’s eyes met her from where she had fallen to the ground. What she wanted to say was clearer in her eyes than she yelled them out aloud. “Run!!! Don’t get caught!!!”

As much as she hated herself for turning her back on her mother Sayumyi couldn’t disobey her mother. She would never forgive me if I don’t listen to her now.

But before she could do anything, three more wolves appeared, two of which glared at her as if daring her to run. I could hear my heart beat rise in fear. It was like I got stranded in a nightmare. The werewolves that surrounded us looked like monsters from hell!

“You will not touch the child!” her mother growled and leaped sideways, avoiding the wolves who were aiming her. She attacked those who were coming to get Sayumyi. “Go Sayumyi! Run away!”