Chapter 8 - Body guard for life

“What the heck are you two doing? I’ve been waiting for you guys for almost an hour. And all the others just went in. They’ve started the social!” Gayal yelled.

Priyashi held the phone a several inches away from her ear. She exchanged a guilty look with Sayumyi who gave her an I-told-you look. She tends to forget that the clock ticks when she gets lost in her dressing up world.

“We’re seven minutes away from uni. It’s all because of the traffic, you see,” Priayshi tried to explain.

“Liar,” Gayal said at the same time Sayumyi mouthed it.

“Ah, just give me a break. Things like dressing takes time,” Priyashi cried exasperatedly. “You just wait there and count to hundred. We’ll be there by the time you finish,” she told Gayal and disconnected the call before he could begin protesting again.

They soon got down at the front of the university. They had come in the trishaw. I know, a classy vehicle.

Gayal was standing at the front of the building all by himself. His eyes slightly widened as he took in the two girls. Priyashi looked ready to challenge the batch queen title with her dark red sari, matching jewelry and pointed heel that made it look like she was walking on needles. Sayumyi’s sari was an elegant beige and orange with a small, intricate design at the border. She wore simple gold jewelry and a tiny heel.

“Others have really gone in,” Priyashi looked around in surprise.

“You didn’t believe me, huh?” Gayal made a face. “Some girl friend you are.”

“You don’t mean it, Gayal. You look completely dazzled by her,” Sayumyi grinned, taking the lead so that her two friends can have their moment. And she was eager to see if a certain bike was present. They knew what they were talking about when they said ‘old habits die hard.’ The problem is my habit is not even that old. And for heaven’s sake he is TAKEN.

Still she felt disappointed when she saw that the bike was missing. He didn’t come? Oh well, he must’ve been too lazy to bother. Why am I even surprised?

She tried to kick Tehan thoughts out of her head and focus on the social. Will it be a problem that we’re late?

They managed to slip in from the back and sit at the very last row without attracting a lot of attention. Sayumyi was focusing on the stage when something to her side caught her attention. Someone had entered the gym, but it was hard to see the details in the darkness. Only thing she could see was that he was tall. Eh, has he come? Shut up, heart! You’re too loud.

The dark figure paused for a moment and looked over his shoulder. Sayumyi gulped. Thank gods its dark.

Sayumyi couldn’t figure out what he was looking at exactly but it felt like he was looking at her. It is Tehan, right? It has to be. No one I’ve seen around here is that tall.

She forced her attention back to the front and when she took a sneaky peek after a few moments the person had vanished down the corridor. One thing sure, he is a senior. Only seniors will go down the corridor which leads backstage.

They were given lunch, calling several rows at a time, while the events continued at the front. Sayumyi and Priyashi were excited to see Kasthuri on stage, even though she didn’t come into the spot light just like she promised.

Then it was the beginning of the most awaited item of the day – inviting girls to the batch queen contest.

“You should go Pri,” Sayumyi gushed as the girls were escorted on stage by their batch mates.