Chapter 24 - Timid rabbit no more

Sayumyi opened her eyes, stretched herself like a cat and sat up rubbing her eyes. Why do I feel like Sleeping Beauty who got up after a century of sleeping?

She looked around her unfamiliar surroundings and tried to remember how she came here. Her forehead wrinkled as she thought hard. First thing she remembered was that she was having a dream about lions just before she woke up. She couldn't exactly recall what she saw though. It's peculiar. Why would a rabbit dream of lions?

The door opened at this moment and her mother entered. She gave a delighted squeal when she saw her daughter.

"Oh thank gods, duwa! You're awake!"

"Um, why shouldn't I be?" Sayumyi scratched her head confusedly.

"You were out for almost a fortnight."

Sayumyi's jaw literally hit the floor. "A fortnight!?"

"Yes. The packs got us. They hurt you, duwa. You lost consciousness from them trying to test your limits. They were going to kill us both!" Harshani narrated dramatically. "You don't remember?"

Sayumyi was pensive for a few moments. The more she thought the more clouded her face became. Finally she shook her head. "No, I don't remember anything that happened recently… at all. What ever happened must've been really bad for me to go this blank!"

"It was," Harshani confirmed. "I thought that it would be the end. But thankfully, my mate came and saved us. He was the one who healed you back to health, duwa."

"You have a mate, amma?" Sayumyi uttered in a shocked voice.

"Yes, meet Narendra," Harshani said like welcoming a hero and the man stepped in graciously. He was very handsome and had a playboy look about his face.

Sayumyi eyed him skeptically. "Where were all these years when Amma was struggling alone?"

Her question made her mother gasp in shock. "Sayumyi, don't talk to him like that!" she said in a scolding tone. She looked at her mate as if she feared he would be offended.

But Narendra laughed good-naturedly. "It's alright, Harshani. Sayumyi is right. I should've come back to you a lot earlier."

"It's alright. You made up for everything by coming back now and rescuing us. We won't be harassed by the packs anymore," Harshani gave her mate a reverent look of love.

"Coming back?" Sayumyi said a sharp voice. "You mean you left her? You left your mate?"

"Sayumyi! Since when did you become so rude? That bo-" Harshani's yell was effectively silenced by one glare from Narendra.

"Anyway, he's your father who brought you back to life and you will treat him with due respect from today onwards," Harshani said sternly.

"I know this is sudden, Sayumyi. And I admit that I haven't been an ideal mate to your mother. But I want to make up for it now. So I hope you and I can at least start on friendly terms, if not as father and daughter. I am determined to make no difference between my own children and you. I will show my sincerity to you through my conduct."

"You have children?" Dear me, what is this? I am receiving one shock after the other!

"Yes. I have a son and a daughter. Nishal and Naduni. Kids, come and meet your new sister."

They entered immediately as if they were waiting for their cue. The boy looked just like his father, handsome and reckless - the type Sayumyi preferred to keep hundred meters away from. The girl was stylish too, wearing her straight hair in a high ponytail. She had claw marks on the side of her face.