Chapter 26 - Let go or hold on?

The house was in a flurry when Sayumyi woke up early next morning and went down stairs.

"Good morning Amma and every one. What's happening here?" she looked Nishal who was packing CDs to a hand luggage. "Are you going somewhere?"

"Not just me, we are all going."

"Where?" Sayumyi's eyes went passed everyone and stopped in front of her mother.

"We are going to India. That's where your father works, you see," Harshani explained quickly.

"India?" The first thing that came to my mind was what Tehan said. "When are we going?"

"Tomorrow," Naduni informed.

"So soon? Are we going there for good?" Sayumyi's head was spinning.

"Yes, duh," Nishal said.

"But how can I just leave? I have to go to campus!" Sayumyi exclaimed.

Everyone in the room seemed to become tense at the mention of this. Sayumyi noted this silently.

"You can go to a better campus in India," Naduni suggested. "Right, thaththa?"

"Of course, they have much better courses and lecturers also," Narendra agreed, but Sayumyi had already smelt a rat. Or am I reading too much into this because Tehan had already planted a poisonous seed in my mind?

"Gosh, this is too sudden," she mumbled.

"You'll like it there Sayumyi, I am sure of it! There will be no running and hiding anymore and we can live happily as a family," Harshani's words reminded Sayumyi of the fact which made this arrangement most appealing to her. Amma knew this was my dream from the small days.

"Then at least let me say good bye to my friends at the Law faculty," the words were out without much thought, from her desire to test if her new family really has ulterior motives.

"No!" Narendra snapped abruptly. Sayumyi blinked at him. Everyone froze for a moment. "I mean, there is no time for that kind of trivial stuff. And seeing them again just to say bye is only going to make the leaving harder," even though Narendra continued quickly, what was done was done. Sayumyi's mental gears were moving fast. I have to act like I didn't catch up with his obsession to prevent me from meeting my old friends. I have to act dumb.

"Do you have that much of friends anyway?" Nishal asked cynically. "How many do you actually remember?"

That hit a nerve. They know parts of my memory have become blurred, but that doesn't mean they can look down on me because of that.

"I remember Gayal and Priyashi."

Nishal fell into immediate silence at the mention of these names. Now what happened to this boy?

"Anyway, don't you guys have any friends here to say goodbye to?" she looked questioningly at Naduni.

"No. All our friends are in India. So we are eager to go back."

"I see," Sayumyi started to eat breakfast. She ate in silence, pondering on the new set of developments.

If we are leaving tomorrow that means I won't get to see Tehan again even by accident. Will he really wait for me for ten years? Nah, Sayumyi, this is not a Hindi movie. Still, he'll wait up today the whole day for me. I wonder if he can really revive my memory? If he does will he be in that memory? He said I love him and I said he was mine! Is that really true? It sounds crazy to think of!