Prologue (REWRITTEN)

Skylar POV

13 years old 

"Gran! I'll be outside!"

"Okay, Sweet Pea!"

Hi,I'm Skylar Mason, but I'm mostly known as Sky. I live in LA with my mom, dad, little brother,  and grandma. I would say I'm closest to my grandma and she calls me different types of flowers because she loves flowers. I've lived in LA for as long as I can remember.

I have blonde hair, and brown irisis for eyes. I look a lot like my mom. I'm very insecure. I don't nesscessarily think I'm pretty to be honest. I think my hips are too wide and I hate being short. I'm barely 5 feet tall. I honestly have 2 friends. I feel alone most of the time. 

I went outside to my favorite tree and climbed it. I could literally live up there. In fact, my Daddy put a sign on it that says 'Skylar's tree'. I can see the a lot neighborhood from here! It's the first day of summer vacation and I can't believe that I'm gonna be in 8th grade. As I sat in my tree I looked around. I wondered how 8th grade year would go. I'm so scared and I don't want to go to highschool. I'm probably gonna be alone during the "best years of my life." I try not to think about how scary it will be because I can't make friends and-

Suddenly, I was so startled and I almost fell out of the tree.

My next door neighbor, Mrs. Bomdale, was yelling at her cats again. She's just a little, uh, strange.Today was a beautiful day in L.A and I noticed people walking down the street, birds chirping, and very few clouds, despite the smog. But today I noticed something different. Across the street was a Chinese-looking boy about my age with a boy that seemed younger, who I assumed was his brother, in a tree across from mine. I never noticed them before. They were playing on their DSs.

"Alex you're cheating," the older boy complained.

"How do you even cheat at Pokemon?" Alex said.

"You didn't have a Lotad a couple minutes ago but now you do!" the older boy complained.

 The boy named Alex looked up and saw me. "Hey Will, do we know her?" Alex said and pointed at me. He whispered something to the other boy who didn't seem to see me. He looked up from his ds and saw me. His brother whispered something again that made him blush. He said,"Wait Alex don't you dare!" 

"Hey Skylar!"

 " Do I know you? How do you know my name?" I asked. 

"There's a sign on your tree that says Skylar so I guessed you're Skylar. Anyways Will thinks you're kinda cute!"

At this, I was confused. Boys don't think I'm cute, at least for real. Most of the time it's just a joke. I raised an eyebrow. This is weird. I decided to act like I don't care. "Oh really?" I chuckled.

"Yeah, you can tell because of how red his face is," Alex said.

"Stop it. You're embarassing me," Will groaned

"Skylar! We're going to Coldstone. Let's go! Who are you talking to? I wanna go!" My little brother yelled.

Saved by the little devil. "Hey Alex and Will I gotta go," I said.

"Bye Skylar!" Alex yelled. 

I climbed out of the tree and shook my head. Boys are weird.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Months Later

I had another bad day, Drew wasn't talking to me again. I haven't talked to him or hung out with him all summer. Drew is my best friend who has been through a lot with me. I've had a crush on him since 6th grade, but never acted upon my feelings. I've been through a rollercoaster of emotions with him and I really don't wanna loose him. Sure he's a jerk but he means it in the nicest way possible and he makes up for it. He's been my rock since I started getting bullied. But if he was my rock, why do I still feel so alone?