Chapter 38-Escape

Night had fallen at last. The moon was nowhere to be found. The only light flickering within Tian Ling Sect was the orange glowing stone pillar lanterns strewn across the stone pathway. If anyone were able to pass through the barrier cast around the sect, she or he would be able to sneak around in the darkness in secret.

Wei Xing stared at the barely visible light purple barrier that barricaded him from entering the sect. He hasn't once stepped into Tian Ling Sect since the day Xiu Xiang died. It's been eight years since then. He dug into his clothes and pulled out a small jade token engraved with the Tian Ling Sect's insignia.

Every disciple of the Tian Ling Sect was given one of these tokens to help them pass through the barrier. If one of those disciples were to leave the sect or pass away, the sect leader would destroy the connection between the barrier and the token. This should've been true with Wei Xing's token but he found that his token still held power to dispel the barrier.

Did his master hope that he would return to the sect one day?

Clinging the token tightly in his palm, he didn't waste any time as he slipped through the darkness, weaving in and out of places. Despite there being more guards, he still slipped by undetected. It wasn't long until he found the secret portal that led into the hidden prison. What he found strange was there wasn't a single guard watching the portal.

"This makes things easy."

Wei Xing stepped right out into the open and stood on top of the hidden portal. With a quick chant of an incantation, a blue circle lit up from beneath his feet. His surroundings disappeared as he was transported straight underground. The prison room came into view right away.

The first thing he saw was a dead body on the ground. It looked like a disciple from Qing Qiu Sect. His neck had been roughly cut up. It almost looks as if someone had purposely done it to hide the fact that it was cut with a sword. The blood that oozed around him hadn't solidified which meant that the kill was still fresh. He didn't know how but there was an essence of demonic aura seeping from where the cut was.

He shrugged it off and finally turned his attention towards the prisoner area. Where there should've been a prisoner was nothing except broken chains.

"Looks like someone got here before I could," Wei Xing thought. He peered around the prison room once, then turned his back on the dead body to leave.

Once he made it to the surface, he heard voices in the distance. Most likely they were disciples who came to switch out with the guards that should've been guarding the portal. He didn't wait around for them to catch him. With a light jump, he disappeared on the spot.

Alarms sounded and all of Tian Ling Sect woke up in the middle of the night. Wei Xing was in the distance, watching as lights flickered on one by one. He wondered who could have possibly freed the woman he came to rescue. The prison was too well hidden and only select few were given the incantation to start the portal.

He clicked his tongue in annoyance. His plan was to quickly nab the woman and get back to the Night Palace before dawn. It was all thwarted by someone a traitor within Ting Ling Sect.

"Damn that woman. Causing me unnecessary trouble."

There was no point in him staying now that the security had hyped up. He headed straight for the exit where he saw two more dead bodies. They were the guards who would patrol the entrance to Tian Ling Sect. He recognized them as disciples who once studied under him when he was an elder. He checked their throats and sure enough, it was the same fatal injury just like the injury on the disciple inside the prison room. Once again, he sensed demonic aura seeping from the two dead bodies, only this time it was stronger.