Chapter 7 - Gender Problem

I buried my face into the Geography book as I tried to make myself look engrossed in the book yet I couldn't help but feel his heavy gaze on me. I lowered the book to my eye level and caught him stare at me, again. Feeling exposed and kind of annoyed, I closed the book and placed it on the table, the hard covers of it giving a loud thud.

"Do you have a Staring Like A Creep Syndrome?" I asked him and he lowered his book and looked at me in oblivion. "What?" He questioned, his eyebrow raised. I sighed, realizing that it was no use to talk to him. I gave him a tiny glare, warning him to stop annoying me and went back to my reading.

So, turns out that, thankfully, my dream did not come true. And I'm not saying that with any disappointment. Okay, maybe I was a teensy bit disappointed but I was grateful as well. I mean I have no idea how I would react if Max was the one sitting infront of me instead of Austin. Yes, it was Austin's loud thunderous footsteps that caused me anxiety and panic and almost unconsciousness.

I heard the sound of the chair move. I look up to see Austin get out of his chair and walk towards the bookshelevs. I sighed and scratched my head with a pen. I was not concentrating. I need to get this shit load of homework done and I need to get my shit together. I need to calm down, I need to get a hold on myself. I need to forget Max. I looked at the paper and gave out a soft cry, I do not want to do my homework.

After a few minutes, Austin came back and sat across the table. I looked at him . . . or more like stole a glance at him. He had a book in his hands and was flipping through the pages to stop at a certain page. When he found the right page, he started reading it.

"You're reading Gone?" I asked almost in surprise. I never thought he would be the reading kind of a guy. Austin looked at me, expressionless. "That's a really great book." I muttered, feeling like a nutjob. Why do I even care if he is or isn't a reading kind of a guy?

"Uhm, is it? I just read the blurp and found it cool and I said why not give it a try. So I'm reading it," He looked at the cover and then back at me " . . . for the first time." He added.

"If you love science fiction, then you'll love this book." I found myself say instantaneously.

"Well, science can be cool sometimes." He muttered. I placd my pen on the table and said "I didn't know that you like to read." I said.

Austin coughed a little and said "Well, you didn't know me at all. I mean we didn't know each other."

"True that." I said, feeling the awkwardness.

"Anyways, I just read a little when I'm bored." Austin closed the novel and placed it on the table. He said "By the way, I'm sorry about yesterday. I shouldn't have said-" I interrupted him.

"No. I'm sorry. What you said yesterday was absolutely true and I shouldn't have yelled at you. It was my fault. I poured all my anger at Max on you and I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry." I looked at him. He smiled and said "You know you can pour all your anger out on me. I don't mind."

I gave out a tiny laugh. "Are you flirting?" I asked. "I like to take my chances." He smirked. "Boys." I mumbled. "Yeah, it's sort of a gender thing." He said and I smiled.

"Shssshhhh." The librarian eyed us and said.

"Why is she telling us to be quiet? There's just the two of us here." Austin whispered loudly.

"I know." I whispered back. I looked at my watch. 3:00 p.m. I should head back home. I stood up and and took the History and Geography books and went to the book shelves. Austin followed me.

"So, you visit the library often?" He asked.

"Sort of. How about you?" I asked as I placed the two books on the shelf according to their genre. He ran his fingers through his hair.

"Me? Uhm . . . well I do visit the library sometimes. Maybe once or twice a month, or two months." I looked at him and smiled "You come here a lot more than 'sometimes', don't you?" I asked him.

"Yeah, how'd you know that?"

He asked as I picked out a book named 'Paranolmacy'. "Do you want me to be truthful or do you want me to lie?" I asked him and walked back toward the table.

"Truthful." He answered. "Alright. Well honestly, your lying skills are worse than my brother's, and he's only seven." I said. "Thanks for not sugarcoating." He mumbled with a smile.

"Leaving so soon?" He asked as I shoved my stuff into my bag. "Yeah, I have some stuff to do at home." I said, already thinking of the 'stuff' in my head just in case he asks me. It's not that I don't want him around me, it's just that I want to be home. As simple as that. All that breakup thing made me a little antisocial and all I wanted to do was to go home and watch some good TV shows. Probably some Friends.

"You wanna eat something?" He asked out of nowhere. I looked at him carefully.

"Flirting?" I questioned.

"Courtesy." He answered, a genuine smile on his face.

"Hmm, well you don't seem like a creeper and I get to eat food. I don't see any harm, so sure." I said. I guess Friends will have to wait. I'm sorry Joey.

"Do you need to borrow the book?" I asked Austin.

"I actually forgot to bring my library card with me." He smiled sheepishly.

"Looks like it's your lucky day." I said and flashed him my library card. We both walked to the counter to borrow book. The librarian looked up from her book and smiled sweetly at Austin.

"Oh hello, Austin." She said in a very sweet voice.

"Hi, Mrs. Brown." Austin smiled back at her. She looked at me and said

"I see you have brought a friend with you."

"Yeah. Meet Alicia."

"Hello." I greeted.

"Alicia. You used to come here a lot." She said with a sweet smile.

"Yeah, Summer." I forged a smile. "Of course. After all, you're a teenager. It's good to have some fun." She said and took the book from my hand. She checked it out and gave me slip with the due date printed on it.

"Thank you." I said as I took the book from her. We said our byes to Mrs. Brown and left the library.