Chapter 3 - A Brand New Chapter

I looked up to see the same pair of hazel brown eyes staring back at me in confusion. It was Austin, he looked down at me, his eyebrows knitted together. I glared at him, hating the fact the he is watching me cry, that he is staring at me at my most vulnerable state.

"What?" 

I asked him, putting as much rudeness as possible in my simple question. He said nothing, instead he lowered his gaze and stared at my hand. Ignoring him completely, I buried my face in my lap and went back to my miserable crying. I don't care if he watches me cry, I don't care if anybody watches me cry. I just want to pour out all the sadness inside of me. I want to be happy again. I want to see myself smile for no particular reason just like the way I used to.

I heard the jingling of keys and the sound of footsteps growing louder. I expected to see Austin turn around and walk down the stairs. Thinking that he's gone, I cried louder but then I stopped crying when I felt a soft touch of a finger on my hand. I bolt upright and saw Austin infront of me. He was sitting on the stairs, a step lower than me, keeping a little distance between us. I looked at him suspiciously and before I could ask him what he was even doing, he took my hand in his and I tried to pull it back but his grip on my wrist was hard and the way he looked at me didn't make me feel alarmed. So I let him hold my hand. I watched him as he placed it on his palm. He reached for his pocket in his jeans and took out a white handkerchief.

That's when I realized that my right hand was red. I blinked a few times to clear away the tears in my eyes. Blood. I saw blood on my hand. After banging my hand in the wall for a few times, I had hurt my hand so badly that it had started to bleed.

Just when he was about to wipe the blood from my hand with his handkercheif, I said  

"Stop!" 

He looked at me and I placed my pink bag on my lap and fished out my mobile phone. 

"Take a picture of my hand." 

I told him. He kept on looking at me, the confusion never left his eyes. He stared back at me as if I've lost my mind from all the crying.  

"I like to take pictures of my wounds. Guess I like the colour red." I stated, giving him a tiny smile. He decided not to utter a word and took my phone and took a picture of my bleeding hand. With that done, he started to wipe my hand and my little cries turned back in to soft sobs and then into complete silence.

I looked up from my hand to his face and saw him gaze at me. We shared a second of empty eye contact and then he looked away but I continued staring at him. I had never paid attention to his features when we first met, maybe because that wasn't the right time to observe a guy when my relationship was at stake. He looked like a typical teenage boy, maybe about seventeen years old. He had beautiful, big brown eyes and his hair was dark brown in colour, cutted short and he had a quiff which made him look kind of older. His skin was tanner than mine and he was wearing a dark green T-shirt which had the Illuminati's sign on it. The shirt was too big for him and it made him look skinny. Yet I could see his chest muscles and that made him look like the type of guy who would work out. He wore a pair of dark blue jeans and a pair of black converse. He looked cute.

"Ouch!" I complained, realising that my hand hurts. Funny it didn't hurt before since my heart was in more pain than my hand. 

"I'm sorry." He apologized. I had also not listened to his voice clearly that time. His voice amazed me. It was deep yet very gentle. 

"No, I'm sorry . . . for yelling at you a while ago." I said. 

"Oh . . . that's alright. It's not everyday I get the wonderful chance to lock my door so I like to take my time with that." He smiled, his eyes shimmered underneath the light. I found myself smile back at him, not because I had to but because I wanted to.

We let the silence surround us while he wiped my hand. One hand acted as a platform for my bloodied hand to rest on while the other made circular patterns with the handkerchief. Finally Austin broke the silence between us. 

"Why? Why hurt yourself?" He asked and I was taken aback. Shocked at the straightforwardness of his tiny little question, shocked that he actually bothered to ask. I tried to remember why my hand was even bleeding and when the reason came into my mind, the tears flowed back again, making a complete fool out of myself infront of Austin. Obviously shocked at my reaction to his question, he sat a step up and leaned toward me and tried to quiet me down. 

"No, no. Please don't cry." He said as he reached for his other pocket and this time took out a packet of Tempo.

I smiled. 

"First a handkercheif, now a tissue?" Still not used to his voice, he said "I sort of had a feeling that I would have to console a beautiful but depressed lady today."  I smiled again. I took the tissue from his hand and wiped away the tears under my eyes and on my cheeks. 

"Please don't cry. You look prettier when you're smiling." This time I giggled.

Giggled?!