Chapter 23 // Niall

I'd barely made it five minutes away from the house before my phone began blowing up, vibrating constantly in my pocket. I didn't know whether I should answer it or ignore it. It was probably best to ignore it, but I couldn't do that to my friends- not after I got hit by a car and fell into a coma for four months. They would worry their asses off.

So I picked up the phone. I was expecting to hear Louis on the other line, faking like he cared and crying hysterically, but it was Harry. "Niall? Niall are you there? Niall come home, everyone's worried sick."

Harry was the last person I expected to call, so maybe that's why I'm frozen in the middle of the street. "Harry? What are you doing up so late? Why are you calling?"

"You have to come back, Niall! We're all going mental! Louis' already locked himself in his room and Zayn cried! He and Liam are trying to get Louis out of his room, but they can't. Please, Niall, please come back."

"Harry, I can't!" I said, pleading, hoping he would just understand that. "I told Louis why, so I don't understand why he wouldn't tell you guys. Didn't he tell you why I ran away, because maybe then you'd understand!"

"Niall, I wanna know! I wanna know what's wrong! Please, Niall. Is it my fault? Are you mad because we're not close enough? Really, Niall, tell me. Come home and tell me what's wrong. I'll hug you for hours if I have to, just please."

I hadn't realized I started walking again, but I realized I was in the woods. In fact, these woods looked familiar. God damn, this is the place I went when I ran away that day! Shit, I don't know where I am!

Despite being lost, I still kept walking. I felt awful. Awful that I left Harry and everyone like that. "Okay, alright, I'll come home. I'll be there . . . soon."

"O-okay. I love you, Niall." Harry said. I didn't say anything back, I just hung up. I shoved my phone in my back pocket and started walking again, the opposite what that I'd been walking, suitcase rolling behind me. How had I not realized I wandered into the woods? Stupid Harry, he just had to distract me.

I guess I can't blame him, though. If I hadn't run away in the first place, if I hadn't been so damn confused, none of this would've happened. It's my fault.

As I broke into fresh, black air, I thought back to mine and Zayn's fight.

"You're hiding something, Zayn." I confronted him. He bit down in his lip harder, eventually drawing blood. He didn't even flinch, though. "Zayn, what is it?"

"I-I can't say, Niall. I don't wanna hurt you." His eyes went wide. He had an, "Oh shit" look on his face, as if he had just realized he gave away an important secret and he was sparing my poor, unfortunate feelings.

"Hurt me?" Tears welled up in my eyes. I was already hurt, and I know whatever he was about to say would hurt more. I didn't want to be hurt anymore. "Hurt me? What do you mean, hurt me?"

"Nothing, Niall." Zayn said, trying to push the subject away. I knew he expected me to just let it go. He should know I never do that, not when it comes to things like this. "It's nothing."

"Just tell me!" I demanded. "Please, don't lie to me anymore, I can't take being lied to anymore, Zayn, please."

"Fine!" Zayn shouted, frustrated. "Fine, Niall, I'll fucking tell you! I don't love you! Okay? I don't love you because I'm with Harry!"

I stood there, frozen, shocked for a moment. Zayn, who had been tensed, relaxed and sighed as I stuttered out a "Wh-what?"

"Niall," Zayn said softly, stepping forward and trying to take my hand, but I jerked away. "Niall please let me explain."

"Explain?" I had tears on my cheeks, now, though I was trying my hardest to hold them back. "Explain what?!"

"Explain that this wasn't just for no reason!" Zayn said. "I need you to see that Louis does love you! I need to see you not hurt anymore! You're my best friend, I can't take it! I couldn't see any other way to do it than to make Louis jealous! I-I'm sorry."

"Just leave." I whispered, tears now flooding my eyes so much that I couldn't see. They were falling like waterfalls on my cheeks.

Zayn had a sad, hurt look in his eyes- as if he had a reason to be sad and hurt. "Niall, please-"

"Leave, Zayn. Just leave! I told you Louis doesn't love me, why do you even bother? He loves you! Quit rubbing it in my face, okay?!"

I guess I could have been a little more on the nice side, but I was in pain. Besides, I doubt I really loved Zayn back. Maybe I had a crush on him, but I didn't love him like I loved Louis. If anything, I was hurting Zayn before he hurt me.

I pushed the negative thoughts out of my head, trying to forget everything that's happened for the past few months- my stupid feeling for Louis, me getting hit by a car and falling into a coma, me attempting to kill myself- and continued walking, letting my heart lead me home. I hope my heart was willing to work with me today, because it usually doesn't.

My blood ran cold and I stopped short as I heard someone scream my name. It scared the shit out of me, because I wasn't expecting that. My wide eyes stung with tears as the wind blew into them, but I didn't move.

"Niall!" Another ear-piercing scream. I blinked once. Twice. I saw nobody, but I heard more screams, and they weren't coming from behind me. My brain tried to register the voice, but my brain wasn't working.

Suddenly, there were arms around me. Suddenly, I was being lifted off the ground and spun around in a warm embrace. Suddenly, my suitcase handle wasn't in my hand anymore. Suddenly, everything was confusing.

"Niall, oh my god I can't believe you would run away again! Never do that to me again I was so scared!" The person, a man I believe, put me down and grabbed my hands. Is that . . . is that Louis? Suddenly, my brain was working. The voice ran through my mind again and again. That was definitely Louis.

"Louis?" I asked. "Wh-what are you doing here?" I couldn't help what I said next, it just came out. "I thought- thought you didn't care about me."

I didn't get to finish speaking. Something cut me off. At first, I didn't realize what was happening, but my body did. My arms wrapped around Louis' neck, my eyes fluttered shut, and my body was warming.

Louis' arms were wrapped around my waist, holding me tightly against him warm body. His hands were clutching at the bottom of my shirt, not an inch of space between us.

Now it was clear what I was doing. Now it was clear what was happening. Now everything was clear. Why Zayn had tried so hard to get me to realize Louis loved me. Why Louis had been so distant with me. Why Louis had been so jealous when I was with Zayn. Why was all of this clear so suddenly?

I was kissing Louis Tomlinson.