Chapter 26 // Louis

"The difference is they'll know you're gay! The difference is they're joking! The difference is this is real! No, Tomlinson. I don't know what the hell you're trying to prove, but it won't work. You and Niall can't be together and that's that."

"This isn't all about you!" I stood up, slamming my hands down on the desk. "This is about me and Niall! People love me and Niall together! True fans will stick with us! True fans won't care that we're together! Most true fans will be happy and support us! We have a hell of a lot more true fans than fake ones! Our true fans won't leave us just because we're gay! Our true fans will continue to support us no matter what!"

James looked at me with a furious look in his eyes. "We want the true fans and the fake ones. That just means more support for you guys and more money for us. They stay. You and Niall are out."

I ignored his comment about money. "I thought Niall was your favorite! You love Niall, don't you?! Do you really want to see him hurt?!"

"Niall doesn't love you!" James stood up and slammed his hands on the desk as well. "Just face it! He doesn't love you! Never have and never will! Have you ever thought that maybe Niall is with you just so you didn't feel bad? Just so you didn't feel neglected? Niall's sweet, he'd do something like that. Maybe this was all Niall's idea anyways. Have you ever thought about that?"

My glare dropped immediately, and I felt suddenly sick. I retreated backwards, sitting down on the couch, laying a hand on my stomach. "This was Niall's idea?"

"Yes." James said, sitting down as well. "He doesn't want you. He doesn't need you. He doesn't want to be with you."

I shook my head and stood up, walking towards the door. My hands were clenched into fists and tears were coming to my eyes, threatening to fall over. I turned back one last time, letting a tear fall. "You're lying." Then I slammed the door, walking home.

-•-

I ran into Liam's room, but I stopped short. Niall was there, cuddled in Liam's arms, laughing at the movie on Liam's TV. Liam was feeding him one piece of popcorn at a time, looking down at the boy with such adoration, I would have thought they loved each other- if I didn't know any better. But that's the thing, did I know better?

I let out a choking sound and ran from the room before they could see me. I ran into Harry's room, but he was making out with Zayn on the bed. I made a second choking sound and ran away yet again, before they could see me. I ran into my own room, locking the door, and collapsing on my bed. I buried my face in the pillow and screamed over and over, sobbing and choking at the same time.

I screamed and sobbed and choked, all at the same time, until I was forced into an uncomfortable sleep from pure exhaustion.

-•-

When I woke up, there was a body next to mine. I groaned and turned away, half-expecting it to be Liam. He does that sometimes. When I'm sad or mad and won't talk to anybody, he'll come into my room and lay down while I'm asleep, because he knows I'll be happy when I see him in the morning.

"Louis?" A whisper came. It sounded relaxing and familiar and comfortable. "Are you awake?"

I flipped over so fast I thought the bed would break. I found myself staring into a familiar set of sky blue eyes. He smiled when he saw me. "You're awake."

"You're here!" I said happily, grabbing him and hugging him tightly, clutching onto his shirt as if my life depended on it. "I've missed you so much, I-I-"

I paused. I remembered what management had said earlier. He said it was Niall's idea but ... was it really? I pulled away from the hug, studying Niall deeply.

"Did you want this?" I whispered weakly. "Did you want us to break up?" I sat up and climbed out of bed, standing at my side. Niall sat up, too.

"What? Of course I didn't. Why would I want to break up?" Niall asked. "I thought - I thought we were gonna be forever, b-but management came along and-"

"So that wasn't your plan? You didn't want us to break up?" I demanded. I don't know what I was doing. Niall was already here; why was I challenging him? He wouldn't come here if he didn't want me. He'd be with Liam or Harry and Zayn, but no - he came here.

"Of course not." Niall said, looking baffled. "Where'd you get that idea?"

"M-management told m-me." I stuttered, feeling stupid. I was tensed up, my hands trembling by my side, my lips quivering slightly.

"Wh-what?" Niall asked, his eyes wide. He frowned, too. "He said that? Why?"

"I-I tweeted something. I-I asked the fans what they would do if four of us were gay. M-most of them were fine with it - like four out of five. James found the tweet and demanded to know what that was about. We got into an argument and he ended up saying this was your idea a-and that you didn't want me, or need me like I need you." I burst into tears, feeling as if I could collapse any second. I felt shaky, and I was trembling like hell. Niall stood up and came over, pulling me into his chest.

"Louis, I would never do something like that. I've always wanted you, always needed you, always loved you. You know why?" Niall asked. He didn't give me a chance to answer before he started speaking again. "Because you're perfect. You're cute, you're sweet, you're so damn funny. I can trust you, I can go to you for help. You protect me, keep me safe, cuddle me when I want. You kiss me randomly, you wrap your arms around my waist a lot, and you're just ... you're a perfect guy. Anybody would want you, even a straight man, and that's why I love you. Because you're perfect, and you'd do anything for me."

I sobbed harder into Niall's chest, clutching at him hard. I knew James was lying. This boy loved me, wanted me, needed me just as much as I wanted, needed, and loved him. Niall rubbed my back comfortingly, rocking me in his arms.

When I finally calmed down, I looked up at him. His blue eyes were filled with worry and love. His lips pulled into a small smile, not showing his teeth. I leaned up and smashed my lips to his. My arms wrapped around his neck while his stayed on my waist. He didn't pull back or anything when I kissed him. Instead, he kissed back hard.

Want filled the passionate kiss, and soon enough, we had a grip on each other so tight we thought there would be bruises in the morning. But for now, we didn't care. For now, we stood in each other's embrace, blocking out the rest of the world; wanting, needing, and loving each other.