Chapter 15 // Liam

"N-Niall d-did what?" Louis stuttered. I held out my arms. Louis fell into them, sobbing violently into my chest.

I tried my best to comfort him, like I always did when one of the boys was in pain. "Louis, Louis it's okay-"

"It's not okay! Stop telling me it's okay!" Louis shouted. "Niall's killed himself!"

"He tried, Louis. Tried." I reminded, rubbing his back. "He didn't actually kill himself. He's not dead."

"I know." Louis mumbled. "But what if that nurse hadn't walked in to check on him? He would be d-dead."

"But he's not. He's being constantly watched now. It's okay, Louis." I rubbed Louis' back as he sobbed into my chest.

"C-can we go see him?" Louis asked, voice cracking. I nodded, wrapping one of my arms securely around him while reaching for the keys with the other.

"Boys! We're going to go see Niall! Are you coming?" I shouted. Zayn and Harry came downstairs, pulling their shoes on.

"Yeah, let's go." Harry said, grabbing the keys from me. We all clambered into the car, Louis sitting next to me in the back, Harry driving, and Zayn riding shotgun.

The whole ride to the hospital was silent other than the sounds of Louis' sobs.

-•-

As soon as we got to the hospital, we asked to see Niall. Well, I did, because Louis was trying to catch his breath, Harry had taken to hugging him, and Zayn didn't seem to want to speak.

"He's currently asleep," The woman I'd asked said. "but if you'd like to wait for him in his room, we'd be glad to-"

"Yes, please." Louis interrupted, having finally caught his breath. She nodded, gesturing for us to follow her. She lead us to Niall's room.

Niall wasn't asleep. No, he was sitting up, fiddling with the edge of the hospital blanket, his knees pulled to his chest. He was looking down, not paying attention to us, simply staring at the blanket, looking sad.

"Niall!" Louis shouted, running to his bedside. He looked at us and smiled a small smile. I breathed a sigh of relief while Louis wrapped his arms tightly around Niall.

"Oh my god. I'm so happy you're okay." Louis said. Niall stayed still, not hugging him back.

The woman walked out of the room, leaving me, Zayn, and Harry to stand there, not really sure what to do, while Louis and Niall had a 'moment'.

Louis pulled away from Niall, seeming to study Niall's expression (though, I couldn't see his face, so I didn't really know what he was doing).

Louis said something, then Niall said something, and soon enough, they were in a seemingly deep, hushed conversation.

A nurse walked in suddenly, making Harry, Zayn, and I jump. Louis and Niall didn't seem to notice (or maybe they didn't care), so she took the three of us out to talk about Niall.

"Niall's okay to leave the hospital, but someone will have to be constantly watching him." She said. We nodded.

"No, really. You can never let him out of your sight. We . . . we found this." The woman whispered, handing us a folded up piece of paper.

"He gave to me. If you read that, you'll know why he has to be constantly watched. It's a note he wrote." She gave us a small smile, a sad one, before walking away, her heels clanking against the marble floor.

I was honestly scared to loom at it, but it was on my hands, so I took a deep breath and opened the note to Niall's handwriting.

I can't take it much longer. I have a secret, but I don't bother telling anybody. I don't want to tell anybody.