Chapter 20 // Niall

"No! No don't. I . . . I'll do it." I said, sighing. I don't want Louis to have a fit on Zayn. I know what happens when Louis gets mad, so if he wants to use me as his punch dummy, I'm fine with that. Just not Zayn.

"But Louis gets aggressive when he's mad." Zayn reminded, as if I already didn't know.

"I know." With that, I walked away, following the sound of Louis' sobs. "Louis . . . look . . . I'm sorry. I shouldn't have gotten between you and Zayn."

Louis looked up, as his face was buried in his hands, and froze. "Wh-what are you doing in here? Shouldn't you be with Zayn?"

His voice cracked when he said Zayn's name. I knew Louis loved Zayn. I knew it, I knew it, I knew it. Now, Louis hates me even more. I'm stealing away the one he loves.

"I-I should be. I want to be, but I can't." I said, walking over and sitting next to him. I felt a little glad that he was more sad then mad. He wouldn't use me as a punching toy, even though he's never done that to any of us, only to quite a few glass or plastic items. But then I felt guilty for feeling happy that he was sad, even if it was for a particular reason.

I felt a bit torn, here.

"Wh-why can't you? I-I mean . . . he loves you, and you love him. Just go back to your little lover boy." Louis spat out the last part, though his voice cracked a bit toward the middle. I just sighed and wrapped my arm around his shoulder.

"I can't get between you and Zayn. Look, Louis, I know he loves me, b-but maybe he'll give you a chance. Maybe you can make him get over me." I said.

"But don't you love Zayn?" Louis asked, confusion crossin over his sad features.

I have to think about that. Do I love Zayn? I don't know . . . I haven't had much time to think about that. I mean, I kissed him and it felt right, but that doesn't mean I'm in love. Maybe it just means I want to be loved.

"M-maybe I do, but I don't know. I-If I were you, I'd go get him before I realize I do love him." I said. Louis shook his head and got up, wiping the tears away from his eyes.

"I can't do that to you, Niall." Louis said. "I just- I can't. I-I don't wanna hurt you."

"You won't." I promised, but it was anything but true. He wouldn't be hurting me because he was with Zayn, he would be hurting me because he wanted Zayn. "Just go get him."

"No. No Zayn loves you. I can live. The one I love doesn't love me back, but he's happy. He's happy and if he's happy then I'm happy. I can't destroy that. Just . . . just be with him. It'll make me happy." Louis took my hand, gave it a light squeeze, and walked away.

I went back to Zayn, who was pacing the room. I cleared my throat and he ran over, his hand flying around my chest, stomach, back, arms, and face. "Did he hurt you? Are you alright? Are you hurt? Are you broken?"

"Zayn, Zayn, calm down. I'm fine." I said. Zayn let out a breath he had been holding and wrapped me in a tight, comforting, warm hug.

"Thank god. A-anyways what did Louis say?" He asked, biting his lip. I sighed.

"He's in love with you, Zayn. He said . . . He said 'No Zayn loves you. I can live. The one I love doesn't love me back but he's happy. He's happy and if he's happy then I'm happy. I can't destroy that. Just be with him. It'll make me happy'. Then he squeezed my hand and walked away. He loves you, Zayn."

"No he doesn't." Zayn shook his head. He had a little smiled on his face after he said all of that. I couldn't figure out why.

"Yes, he does! He even said it." I protested. 'The one I love doesn't love me back'-"

"The one I love." Zayn repeated. "He didn't say my name. The one I love. Niall, he was talking about you."

"Just stop, Zayn." I huffed. "He doesn't love me. He doesn't love me. There's no need trying to encourage me. Okay? I'm happy with you . . . can we just leave it at that?"

Zayn bit his bottom lip, then he sighed. "Yes. We can- we can just leave it at that."

I smiled and kissed him lightly, wrapping my arms around his neck. As I pulled away, I noticed Zayn was biting the inside of his bottom lip, and everyone knows what it means when he does that.

Zayn is hiding something.