Chapter 6 - See The Luck I've Had

In the three weeks that followed, life in the big, red house on the hill slowly began to improve. Mum was still deep in mourning for the loss of Dad, Avery and Riordan still missed his laughter and the physical solidity of his presence every single day, but the all-encompassing depression that had smothered them all started to lift. Granny was finally able to persuade Mum to start bereavement counselling, and she found a support group that really helped. All things considered, the children had their mother back; she smiled at them, she hugged them, she got irritated with sloppy homework and she cuddled them when they went to bed. Avery could hardly believe how things had changed. She hid the pretty, crystal phial in a shoebox at the back of her wardrobe and looked at it every night with silent gratitude, just before she went to sleep. The beautiful amulet that Lady Elouan had given her never left her neck. Every time that she was sure that her adventure in the forest was nothing but a dream, she would touch the pendant hidden beneath her shirt and be comforted. Mum was still hugely worried about money, but with a stroke of luck, she landed a medical job at Avery's school which meant that her hours would be manageable (although she'd be on call on some nights and weekends). Even better, Granny and Granddad Seale had decided to sell their house in Poet's Corner and move in with them to provide extra support. Granny loved her little house; the result of Grandad's years of driving London buses and her selfless toil on the wards of London hospitals. They had lived in it for nearly thirty years and it was full of happy memories but when Mum reached out, Granny was there without a moment's hesitation. Avery and Riordan were delighted; they were looking forward to Granny's home cooking. Her West Indian macaroni pie, coconut bread and oxtail stew were renowned at church picnics, and she was looking forward to cooking up a storm. Grandad was happy too; he'd always wanted a larger garden to tend and Mum had promised him a big vegetable patch where he could grow his favourites - pumpkins, scallions and callaloo. All in all, even though Riordan still shed the odd tear at night and Avery still found herself reaching for a hand that was no longer there, genuine healing had finally begun.

During this period Avery spent much of her time wandering the paths of Dulwich Woods. She went on weekend walks with Mum, Riordan and her dog Tanguy, and would always cut through the forest to and from school. She yearned for another glimpse of the faerie world; to play with Bihan Ruz and talk to Helori or Caradoc. It was quite disheartening as the spring days rolled on, the bluebells faded away and the coiled knobs of bracken unfurled without a hint of faerie presence. And even though it made her feel slightly foolish, Avery scrutinised every crow, hoping to spot Sir Bran with his patch of white chest feathers and would always nod at the garrulous flock that nested in the oaks at the top of Croft Lane. Whether they were true sentinels of Effrayna or just rowdy woodland birds Avery couldn't tell, but she clung to the hope that they might inform the faeries of her presence. And every time she passed the Rounded Stump, she stopped to call Bihan Ruz in a loud whisper; at other times she sat on the wooden bench for an hour or so, wishing with all her might that he'd appear, but he didn't. Then, one afternoon while she waiting there patiently, she remembered her promise to leave flowers at the Green Man's well to thank him for the healing water.

Maybe that's why I haven't been able to see into the faerie realm! she thought guiltily, they probably think I'm ungrateful or that I've forgotten. I did sort of forget, (just a bit) because everything has changed so quickly. Which is no excuse; I need to fix this right away.

Brimming with renewed hope and excitement, she hurried home with a spring in her step, resolving to gather a bouquet at the very next opportunity. The following Saturday, she ransacked the garden for all the prettiest flowers in bloom. She cut some sprays from the scented lilac tree, picked handfuls of late-flowering daffodils and snuck in several of Mum's prized purple alliums (hoping that she wouldn't notice). She tied everything neatly with a piece of old ribbon and wrapped it in damp newspaper. Telling Mum that she was going to the woods with Tanguy, she tucked the bundle of flowers carefully under one arm and made her way down Cox's Walk at a determined pace. Crossing the busy road with care, she sneaked through the barriers around the old tavern, which had been boarded up and abandoned for years. Keeping the feisty terrier on a tight leash she crossed the weedy, rubbish-filled carpark and ventured into the garden of the pub. Avery explored every corner of the neglected, overgrown grounds, scratching herself on brambles and neglected rose bushes, and tripping over hidden flagstones but found nothing that looked even remotely like an old well. There was, however, the most enormous ash tree she had ever seen behind the dilapidated building. Avery gazed up at the soaring branches and touched the diamond-patterned bark on its massive trunk with respect. Then she unwrapped her bouquet and laid them carefully at the foot of the ancient tree.