Chapter 5 - Dulce Domum

The giant cedar was cloaked in darkness and the glade was empty, save for Lady Helori standing beneath the cedar of Lebanon and Lord Caradoc, whose hand still rested gently on her shoulder.

'There is one thing left to do before we take you home, Avery, but don't be afraid for our errand will prove very useful,' he said.

'I'm not afraid. Not any more, that is,' said Avery quietly.

'Good! Let us proceed,' said Caradoc, offering his hand. She took it and followed him cautiously, as he walked her right across the calm surface of the blue-green pond to join Helori on the other side. Helori leaned over to examine the amulet that hung around Avery's neck.

'Well done, youngling. You've made a good impression on Lady Elouan; gifts like these are very rarely given to those from the world of mortals. Keep it well.' Avery clutched the enamelled pendant in her hand.

'I will, I promise,' she said.

'Now, we go on foot and you shall see some of the beauty of Effrayna, our ancient home in the Great North Woods,' said Helori.

'Thank you,' Avery replied politely, wondering where on earth they might be taking her as she followed them from the clearing. Helori threaded her way along a narrow path through a dense thicket, the shadows of which was pierced by the twinkle of fireflies danced throughout the brush. Eventually, the path broadened and trees around them were much larger and more widely spaced. On their left, Avery could see beams of distant lamplight shining through the branches. She heard the sound of applause as someone finished singing a ballad, and a chill ran down her spine because she recognised the tune. It was "To Make You Feel My Love", her father's favourite love song that he often played for Mum on his old guitar.

That's amazing; how do they know our music? I thought that faeries danced to medieval 'hey nonny-nonny' sorts of songs. This as a good omen, thought Avery, trying to catch a glimpse of the singer through the trees, but her guardians pressed her swiftly onwards. They entered a clearing where several deer cropped quietly at the long grass in the middle and as the path curved downwards, she saw some multi-coloured lights revolving around the rusty-brown trunk of a yew tree. She thought that these were just a larger type of firefly but as they drew near she realised that they were tiny, winged, flower faeries, each one surrounded by a radiant glow. The faerie people flitted rapidly through the branches, leaving an ephemeral trail of light in their wake. Avery paused to watch them and noticed that the red and the green faeries were male. The red faerie wore a velvet doublet of scarlet rose petals through which his gossamer wings protruded and scarlet boots with a golden bell on both curly toes. On his head was a blood-red nasturtium flower, perched at a jaunty angle. The green one had the mottled, brownish wings of a moth; he wore a hat fashioned from the frilly, green calyx of a hazelnut, and puffy breeches made from lime-green hops. The others were tiny girls; the minuscule feet of the pink and the violet faeries were bare, and their colourful butterfly wings matched the vibrant petals of their sleeveless gowns. The violet faerie wore a wreath of microscopic vetch blossoms over her trailing, dark hair, while the pink faerie's hair was concealed beneath a large, speckled foxglove. The blue faerie had trailing, transparent, wings, a sky-blue, Greek tunic worn over one shoulder and silver, winged sandals. The yellow faerie laughed uproariously as she pirouetted through the air in a dandelion-flower tutu over a bodice of delicate white fluff. Avery was spell-bound as she watched these amazing creatures chase each other, spinning and twirling and brightening the darkness of the forest with their rainbow colours.

'Come, little maid, we mustn't tarry,' said Caradoc. Avery ran to catch up with Helori who was disappearing down the sloping path ahead. Just as she drew near, a small, bow-legged man with hairy ears that sprouted from the top of his lumpen head appeared, out of thin air, in front of her. Avery jumped backwards, just managing to stifle a shriek of surprise. The warty, lumpy-headed man clutched at his sides and roared with guttural laughter, delighted to have caused such alarm.