[112] BUCKY BARNES

bucky glanced down with an unamused look before moving his blue eyes back to yours

bucky glanced down with an unamused look before moving his blue eyes back to yours. ❝you're kidding.❞

❝no,❞ you replied with a smirk, your words firm. ❝i'm not.❞

in your hand were two fake daggers, grasped by the hilt. it was part of the equipment in one of the few gyms within the avenger's facility. the daggers were made of hard plastic with blunt edges—to cause no real harm if struck by one.

you tsked at him, with a roll of your eyes when you still sensed his reluctance. ❝c'mon, james,❞ you knew he liked it when you called him by his first name. ❝they're sparring knives. you won't actually hurt me. plus, we've done this before if you've forgotten.❞

he hadn't. the only problem was that bucky started to catch feelings for you after the first time you two sparred. it was a little awkward, but overall he was impressed at your level of skill. you easily dodged his slow attacks (so you weren't caught off guard, he told himself). you even managed to tire the super solider out.

with a hesitant sigh, bucky shook his head before moving closer to you. your head naturally turned upward at him, fighting back a blush as his large frame towered over yours. his flesh hand reached out and grabbed a knife, brushing his fingers against your palm, mumbling something about you being an idiot.

you didn't take it personally, smirking wider as you both readied yourselves. bending your knees, you took a stance and waited. after a beat of silence, bucky seemed to switch internally and lunged for you.

your eyes widened at his boldness before skillfully twisted away from his swing. swinging your own arm backward, bucky dodged the hit. you both stepped away from another, circling slowly.

he flipped the plastic dagger, having the blade pointing down. you huffed quietly, waiting for him to strike again.

it was a routine to you—a dance.

brandish left with the dagger—step right.

swing down—hit his wrist away.

curve up to counter strike—circle your torso under his arm.

bucky growled under his breath in annoyance; not being able to land a jab on you with his knife. with a second to spare, he flipped the weapon in the air for an alternate assail, he gasped when your hand slapped his blade across the room.

he stumbled back in shock, never having the move happen to him. who the hell just smacks a knife away during a battle?

it was as if you could read his mind, ❝surprised? it worked, didn't it?❞

you still had that stupid—cute—smirk on your face, making him unable to respond.

another moment of silence passed before you tossed your own knife away beside you. bucky didn't have time to ask before you jumped towards him. wrapped your arms around his girthy waist, you tackled him to the floor mat.

you shifted position; straddling his stomach and holding both wrists above his head. of course, due to your height differences, you had to lean over his body and have your faces close together.

bucky blinked up at you, downright stupefied by you.