[107] BUCKY BARNES

request from Leonard_lover300 ! hope you like it!

bucky narrowed his eyes as he slipped the earpiece into his ear

bucky narrowed his eyes as he slipped the earpiece into his ear. you sighed, resting your hands on the electric guitar hanging from your neck and shoulder. glancing around for the fifth time that evening, you frowned deeply.

❝okay, where is nat? she was supposed to be here like twenty minutes ago?❞

bucky shrugged, sighing deeply. ❝dunno. i tried calling her a bunch of times, but she hasn't answered.❞

you couldn't help but roll your eyes, shifting your weight from both feet. the curtain that led off-stage was suddenly pulled back and the manager poked his head through. ❝you guys are on in two minutes. it's a full house.❞

❝wait, what?!❞ you exclaimed, twisting around to face the man. ❝but natasha is here, we can't start! she's the vocalist.❞

he only shrugged, ❝you guys better figure something out, cause we go live in two minutes!❞

before you could get another word in, the man disappeared. flabbergasted, you gave bucky an irritated look, ❝can you sing?❞

❝oh, hell no. you gotta sing. i play the drums.❞ he backed away with his hands raised, holding his drumsticks in one fist.

okay! thirty seconds!❞ the manager yelled from behind the curtain.

a flood of anxiety rushed into your stomach as you cautiously stepped by to the mic. ❝natasha, i'm gonna kill you...❞ you whispered under your breath, readjusting the microphone to your level.

the curtain suddenly pulled away, revealing the floor area packed with people. a bright spotlight flicked on, aimed right on your face. you wince a little, realizing that you couldn't see anyone except the front few rows. they cheered upon seeing you.

❝hey, guys,❞ you paused when they cheered again. ❝unfortunately, our singer natasha couldn't make it out tonight, so i'm covering for her. just wanted to say right now that i'm sorry.❞

the crowd shared a laugh, making you a little more at ease. ❝anyways, we planned to do a cover to paramore's song, still into you.❞

stepping away from the mic, you bowed your head to give your electric guitar one final tune. the background track started to play, cueing you and bucky.

on your own cue, you stepped towards the microphone and pressed your fingers to the corresponding strings. ❝can count the years on one hand that we've been together,

you could feel bucky's eyes on you, either surprised or disappointed at your singing. ❝i need the other one to hold you, make you feel, make you feel better.❞

with the two-second pause, you quickly turned your head, to see bucky smiling widely at you while banging on various drums around him. rolling your eyes, you turned back to the crowd. ❝it's not a walk in the park to love each other. but when our fingers interlock, can't deny, can't deny. you're worth it.

when there was a break from the guitar, you grabbed the mic with one hand. ❝cause after all this time...i'm still into you.❞ stepping back from it, you squeezed your eyes shut. ❝i should be over all the butterflies, but i'm into you. and baby even on our worst nights, i'm into you.

let em wonder how we got this far, cause i don't really need to wonder at all. yeah, after all this time, i'm still into you.

you could hear the crowd cheer as the song continued, which made you giggle quietly to yourself.

recount the first night when i met your mother. and on the drive back to my house, told you that, told you that i loved ya. you felt the weight of the world fall off your shoulder. and to your favourite song we sang along to the start of forever.

you repeated your actions, now grabbing the microphone with both hands. ❝and after all this time...i'm still into you.

you could feel a smile creep upon your lips as you felt more and more confident. ❝i should be over all the butterflies, but i'm into you. and baby even on our worst night, i'm into you.

let em wonder how we got this far—❞ you closed your eyes for a second. ❝—cause i don't really need to wonder at all. yeah, after all this time i'm still into you.

with a proper break in the song, you moved your fingers rapidly across the neck of the guitar. stepping away from the microphone, you walked up to bucky and played near him. he leaned forward while drumming, ❝you're doing amazing!❞ he flashed a proud smile. ❝you gotta sing more often!❞

you shook your head, shuffling back to the mic. ❝like hell i will! plus natasha would kill me!❞

still strumming as fast as the song's background track, you pressed your lips to the microphone, ❝some things just, some things just make sense and one of those is you and i. some things just, some things just make sense even after all this time.

you smiled down to the few people you could see before another shot of anxiety pulsed through your gut. the height of the song was coming up and you dreaded that your voice couldn't reach that high.

swallowing your fear, you closed your eyes to hide the world away. ❝i'm into you...baby not a day goes by that i'm not—❞ bucky's eyes widened as you reached the peak note, delivering it perfectly. ❝into you!

when the crowd cheered even louder than before, your eyes shot open as a wave of relief flooded over you. blinking, you nearly missed your cue. ❝i should be over all the butterflies, but i'm into you. and baby even on our worst night, i'm into you.

let em wonder how we got this far cause i don't really need to wonder at all. yeah, after all this time i'm still into you.

as you sang the final two lines, you nodded your head and stepped back once more. the crowd went wild, and you gasped when you felt two arms wrap around you, under your guitar. shrieking in laughter, bucky twirled you around.

when he set you down, bucky grabbed your shoulder and turned you to face him. ❝you never told me you could sing like that!❞

feeling a blush rise on your cheeks, you covered one with your hand. glancing at the still-cheering crowd, you offered bucky a shy shrug, ❝guess that makes two of us.❞

smiling wider than you've ever seen, bucky pulled you in for a hug once more.