Ten

Audrey's POV

~~~

After we all finish the Dauntless Cake, I head to my bedroom to sleep. I look back and see Tris- I mean, mom- and dad kissing. I smile to myself. Most people my age would think that's disgusting, seeing your parents kiss, but not me. They both deserve it after being separated for fifteen years.

I go into my bathroom and brush my teeth. As I brush my teeth, I look in the mirror. I see myself, of course, but I also see someone new. Someone who's happy. I have a family. I had my dad. I guess he was my family, but the way he treated me made it seem like he wasn't. He seems different now. Happy. I still don't know if I can forgive him for neglecting me my entire life, but right now, I'm not going to let that get in the way of him and my mom's relationship. They both deserve to be happy,, just for now.

In my dreams, I dream of my family. Usually its about wishing I had a family, but my brain recognizes that I have one now. I sleep peacefully all night.

In the morning, I'm woken up by my alarm clock. I suddenly sink back in bed and let out a moan. School is today. I hate school. I would really enjoy it, if I didn't have a learning disability. Everyone at school treats me differently because of it. I sometimes can't make out what 2+2 is.

I run to my closet and pick up my outfit that I'm assigned to wear everyday at school. We have to wear mixed colours in our uniform. Apparently, it's to remind everyone of the faction system. We have to wear red, black, white, yellow, blue and grey. After I put my clothes on and do my hair in a bun, I run downstairs.

I smile as I see both of my parents holding hands while drinking coffee. They aren't even talking, just smiling and looking into each other's eyes. I run to the fridge and grab an apple. I sit next to both my parents. I look at my dad, and he looks at me. I look down at my apple, avoiding eye contact. I sit in silence.

Suddenly my mom speaks up, "Why is your uniform all mashed up with different colours?"

"It's a reminder of the faction system," I say. She nods and continues to drink her coffee. "You were from Abnegation, right?"

"I was, yes. Tobias, too." She says, while pointing to my father. "If you could choose a faction, Audrey, What would you choose?"

I really only know Candor, Abnegation and Dauntless. The others I never bothered to know about. "I only know what Candor, Abnegation and Dauntless are. What are the others?"

Before my mother can speak up, my father says, "Erudite and Amity. Amity is where you go if you like peace and harmony. Erudite," he says while clenching his teeth, "is where the smart ass.."

"Tobias! Language." Says my mother while elbowing him in the arm. He laughs it off and continues.

"It's where the smart people go."

"I'd probably be Dauntless." Both of my parents smile at that.

"Typical daughter of mine," Mom says while smirking. "Who's going to drive you to school?"

Before I can say anything, dad interferes."I will."

"You know, dad, that's nice, but I'll just walk."

"No, I'll drive you."

"Dad!" I yell angrily. "I'll walk, okay?" I run out of the house slamming the door, and I breathe in the scent of the fresh spring air.