Five

Tris's POV

~~~

Mom.
Dad.
Al.
Tori.
Will.
Uriah.
Their smiles, which I've been seeing for the past 15 years, disappear. There's darkness. I want to go back to my family and friends. Why are they all disappearing? I'm dead. I'm in heaven. I thought once you die, you're in heaven for the rest of eternity. I trusted that my family and friends would never go away. What's happening? Whatever it is, I hope I get to see my mom's face again.

Then I feel something. It's still dark, but I feel in control of something. I'm in my body. Breathing. How is this happening? I hear beeps and every sound that is out there. Then something happens. I open my eyes. My eyes! I thought I was dead. David shot me. I remember my mother holding out her hand and me taking it, giving up my life. I sacrificed myself for my brother, Caleb. I know I was dead. I've had billions of conversations with my deceased friends; Will, Uriah, Mom, Dad, Tori, and Al. Was I dreaming? If I was dreaming, how could I have those endless conversations with my loved ones? Dreams do feel real sometimes, but not like this. It was real. I was in heaven.

When I open my eyes I see a man. He looks like he's in his thirties. Matthew! "Hello, Tris." He says. He looks like the Matthew I know, but just older.

"What's happening?" I say. My voice can verily make it out. If I was dead, or dreaming for fifteen years, then that would make my voice very groggy. "I was dead. Wasn't I?"

"Yes. Yes you were, but now you're alive. When you first came hear, fifteen years ago..." Ah, so I was dead for that long. "...I started creating a sermon. One that could bring back the deceased. I kept your body frozen for years, preserving it, just in case this would work. I finally finished it yesterday, first testing it on dead animals, it worked on them, so I did you, and well, it worked!" He seems so excited. I would smile, but I can't. I'm happy that I'm alive, but I want to go back. "You sure missed a lot, Tris. Tobias made peace with everything. Everything is back to normal. There's no factions anymore, but it's as peaceful as it was when we had them."

Tobias. "Tobias? How is he?" I almost forgot about him. The love of my life. Now I feel so happy to be alive again. I can see him. My love. My Tobias.

"He's good. Him and Audrey are doing well. I think he's depressed, though. That's what I hear."

I look at him confused. "Audrey? Who's that?"

"Right. Umm, well you were pregnant when you got shot, so you have a daughter. She's fifteen. Audrey is her name. Looks just like you." He gives me a smile and continues. "You'll be able to see them in a few weeks, once you've recovered. Oh, and Tris, don't expect Tobias to be all excited. He's gone quite down hill, and this might be a big shock to him. Audrey, too. Not having a mother for a quarter of your life, then getting one, would be a shocker, so don't take it to heart. Anyways, I have to go. Can I get you something?"

This all shocks me, but to answer is question I just reply, "Water."

"Oh, yeah. Not drinking water for fifteen years, you'll probably need a gallon or two." He chuckles to himself, then runs out the door while yelling, "I'll be back in a few minutes."

I'll take these 'few minutes' and think of the news I just heard. Tobias set peace through the city. That's  good. That's what we both wanted. I'm happy for that. The big news, I've got a daughter. Apparently I was pregnant. I didn't know. How did I not see signs? I suddenly feel a pang of guilt. She, or Audrey, whatever her name is, didn't have a mother growing up. That would be so painful. I feel selfish for taking my mother's hand, and giving up my life. I should've just stayed. My daughter could've had a mother. I hope Tobias is good to her. That my only hope. That she had a good father. He would've been, right? He learned that from the endless beating that Marcus, Tobias' father, gave to him. Oh, God. I hope he was good to her.

Matthew comes back with a jug, looking like one gallon of water, and props it on my night stand. He hands me a glass, but I drop it. I'm weak throughout my body. I can't move my mussels without them hurting me. So he holds the cup to my mouth. I drink and drink. The coolness feels so good in my dry mouth.

As I finish my last cup, I speak up. "Matthew? When can I be let out?"

"Tris. You were shot in the head. She died. You were dead for fifteen years, and now you're  alive, so you need at least a month in here, maybe more, to recover. Tobias can wait."

I'm eager to know more about my Tobias. My love. "Does he know about this? About me being alive?"

"No He doesn't. I've kept this plan a secret for the past fifteen years. No one knows about it, just you and...me. You should sleep, Tris. Sleep will help you recover faster."
I nod. I am tired, even though I've been kind of sleeping for fifteen years, I close my eyes and sleep. I think about my Tobias. How I will kiss him. How I can see his dark blue eyes looking at me.